Chapter 29

I had to fight Michael and his wandering hands off most of the way back to the room, one, in the rare case that someone would appear in the hallway, and two, simply so I could walk.

I stopped in front of the door and gave him a shove while I attempted unlocking it. "Hold on, would you?" I snapped. He kissed me roughly as I stumbled into the room. "Michael."

"Shh," he silenced.

"Wait." I tried to squirm out of his grasp as he grabbed two fistfuls of my shirt and pulled it up my chest. "Slow down."

He made some kind of deep growl of impatience and gripped me tightly. I groaned and pushed against him, my hands winding over his shoulders, his fingers grazing down to the small of my back, making me arch it sharply.

"You're not fucking me," I whispered.

His gaze tightened. "Why not?"

I shrugged and turned to prance away from him, enjoying my small power. "If you wanted to get laid, you shoulda stayed with Meg."

He sighed and unzipped his jacket, throwing it to the ground and yanking the button of his pants undone. "I picked you, that means nothing?"

I grinned. "Oh, of course," I said dramatically. "I'm so very honored. The divine Michael D'Angelo has blessed me with his costly time."

"Shut up," he muttered.

"You could've come home yesterday, if you were really so desperate for me," I continued. "But Heather was the lucky winner of the night, huh?"

He smirked over his shoulder. "You missed me."

"Uh, no," I said.

"You did." He turned, looking from my eyes, down to my lips, back up to my eyes. "You lying bitch. You missed me."

"At least I'm not a cheating bitch," I said lamely. "Which is.... what you're trying to do."

He shook his head as he approached me, making me automatically shiver. "No, no, you can't get out of this. Admit it."

I pinched my lips together and stared up at him.

"Well, you're gonna be stuck with me awhile." He twirled his finger through a frontline lock of my hair. "Yesterday didn't really go the best."

Good. "I told you she was stupid."

"Oh, we're still a thing," he told me. "I was texting her today. I'm gonna take her out again. Alone. Your little friend ruined her night."

I smirked. "Remind me to thank her."

He scoffed and took a seat on his mattress to untie his shoes. "Why do you hate her so much? I mean, I get hating Kitty, hell, I hate Kitty, but Heather's so ni-"

"I just think you should date someone who's right for you," I interrupted. God, I sound like Sarah, I thought. I was becoming everything I disliked in her.

Michael looked straight at me, taking a short breath. "Do you wanna date me?"

Every nerve in my body flipped upside down. "No."

"Then shut up," he said.

Did I? Want to date him? I allowed myself to wonder privately. What would that even look like? No, it was too scary. So what did I want? To make him stay single forever and only be my "friend"?

He lied back, then sat up again and sighed discontentedly. "Another thing. Gimme my sheets back, you thief."

"It was, like, really cold last night," I said as I went to fetch them, which was true. "I was taking all the warmth I could get."