Chapter Eighteen

Nicollete

I saw Clay leaning in the hood of my car, I stood there trying to hold my emotions in place.

“I already figure it out that we are leaving early, so you’re very welcome” he said as he made his way to the driver seat.

I never said anything I just stand there rooted on the ground,
Hindi nito pinagpatuloy ang pagbukas ng kotse instead he come near me and ruffled my hair

“Let it out Nicollete, its okay to cry” he said as he look at me tenderly

“I don’t want to…” I shake my head with the breaking sound of my voice. I don’t want to cry! I don’t have the right to be hurt!

“People are bound to be hurt remember? It’s just a matter of when or how so it’s okay Nicollete you have the right to feel bad because not everyone can figure out ahead of time” he said before he envelop me with his hug.

I tried hard not to sob, but it’s quite painful, it feels suffocating and I feel shattering.

***

“You know what you can stay in Isla Paraiso for free” I look at my boss, Finn is really kind and generous at times he spoils me with my indefinite leaves too, I know he is not just my boss but my friend.

I shake my head,

Everything started at that place. It will not help me find myself and knows what I really want, mas lalo lang akong maguguluhan doon.

“I have plans”

He didn’t prove more, he just look at me with care in his beautiful brown eyes.

“Come back with your old self or new you I don’t mind Nicollete as long as it’s you and it’s what makes you happy” for the first time I give my boss a hug and he did the same.

“Tayo na lang kasi” sabi nito at pabiro ko itong sinikmukrahan, and he flinch, ang overacting lang.

“Nagpalit ata ang bituka at liver ko”

“daming alam” inirapan ko na talaga siya at tuluyan ng nagpa-alam.

I need to do this, to search for myself. Soul searching may be cliché but that’s what I’m about to do.
Ang hanapin ang sarili ko, dahil di ko na alam kung ano ba talaga ako or maybe alam ko peru ayaw ko lang tanggapin ang sarili ko. It’s really hard when you can’t figure out who you really are.

***
I travelled places to places, I choose to visit Philippines local spot, I already travel to Europe and some parts of United States but this time I choose to stay in my homeland and I am more surprise to the wonders it can offer I suddenly feel foreign to my own country.
I climbed mountains, swim at the beaches, trying to learn surfing and watch festivals. It was ended serene and fulfilling.

From Dumaguete City I decided to set foot in Dapitan City, I spent my four hours sea travel watching sunrise and dolphins sight-seeing. I usually don’t travel by sea but I eventually learn how.
I was busy texting Feur when I got out in Pulawan Dapitan Port and I bump to someone.

“Careful please” I said and look at the man I bump into, he’s wearing a sunglasses and a smile crept on his lips.

“Woah! Didn’t expect seeing you here Atty. Samaniego” he said as he slowly took off his sunglasses.

“Tres!” I suddenly felt excited seeing a familiar face.

I been away for three months already and seeing a familiar person suddenly in this unfamiliar place bring little happiness. I studied his feature, his still good-looking maliban na lang sa medyo naging mas tan siya ngayon. We’ve known each other in Line Arrow years back then during college days and we are not friends rather acquaintance.
He’s older a year and he used to court me before.

“Are you here for business?” he inquired at umiling ako instead I asked

“Para saan ka?

“Supposedly Siquijor I don’t have a proper itinerary how about you?”

“Planning to visit what this town can offer”

“You want a tour guide” he smiled at me, Tres best asset is his smiles as for me, aside from his handsome and well-defined body.

I supposed to be alone but it’s not also bad for some company, masyado na akong nag-isa sa loob ng tatlong buwan.

“Are you for free?” I smiled back, and he stared at me.

“Well I been too alone for the past whole year, it doesn’t hurt when I will make a little detour”

***

We check in at a well-known resort and decided to visit one of the historical place in the country the Rizal Shrine, and Tres is quite entertaining too, ang dami din nitong trivia and fun fact. Nang napagod na kami sa paglilibot sa Shrine we decided to sit at the seawall.

“You shouldn’t be alone travelling you are very beautiful and very sexy Nicollete you can attract a bunch of men and some are just assholes” Tres said worriedly.

I encountered a lot of them too but I manage to dispatch them but I don’t know why I always felt secure somehow. Mukha lang silang mapadaan peru di na mauulit, or there are times pag may gago talaga na lalaki at bastos someone will always come for my rescue.

Now that I think about it, I am a hell goddamn lucky.

Nang di umiimik si Tres I turn to him and found him looking at the vast ocean.

“Kailan mo balak bumalik?”

“Matagal pa”

“Are you feeling somewhat okay?”

“I should be okay” he answered but it feels like he convince himself, hinawakan ko ang kamay niya nakatukod sa semento.

“You are going to be okay Tres, it’s not yet the end for you and you are not a bad person”
He look at me, the sun was about to set that his face was being illuminated by the light.

He sadly smiled at me

“And I hope that whatever you are looking for Nicollete you can find it”

I nodded.

“Bakit di mo ako sinagot noon? Dahil ba kay Sahjid?”
I turn to him and look, I crease my forehead

“Bakit si Berrde ang maging dahilan ko?”

“You know, ang hirap mo kayang ligawan noon swerte na nga ako at nakapanligaw pa ako kahit binasted mo” natatawa nitong sabi,

“Bakit mahirap?” nagtataka kung tanong sa kanya, he chuckled and look at me sideways,

“You don’t know?” mukhang di ito makapaniwala sa tanong ko

“I wouldn’t ask if I already knew”

“That’s because Sahjid is always around, you both stick together like you mean for each other”