Water || A Familiar Name

Beginne am Anfang

The flying bison groans in response with Aang resting between his horns. "Sokka's just jealous he doesn't have an arrow."

"I think your arrow is pretty cool, buddy," I softly pat Appa on the side of his head, and he gently places more weight into my hand.

"I know you all want to fly, but my instincts tell me we should play it safe this time and walk."

"Okay, Sir-Boss-Man!" I bow down, dramatically positioning my arms so one is over my heart while the other is extended behind me.

"I-I'm not the boss, I'm the leader! Y/n, stop that," he gifts me a small whack on the head, and I jab him in the side.

"You're the leader? But your voice still cracks," Katara teases.

"I'm the oldest, and I'm a warrior! So I'm the leader." Sokka's voice ranged in pitch throughout his words, and I hide my grin behind my hands. He had tried to even out his tone by making his voice sound "deeper" with his last statement.

"If anyone here is the leader, it's Aang. I mean he is the Avatar."

"Are you kidding? He's just a goofy kid."

In unison we turn our heads to the young airbender, greeted by the sight of him dangling off one of Appa's horns. "He's right."

"Why do boys always think someone has to be the leader? I bet you wouldn't be so bossy if you kissed a girl."

Sokka's face immediately heats up while he makes panicked eye contact with me. Within a second he's retracted his gaze from me to anything else around us, gripping onto the rope that holds supplies to his back.

"I-I've kissed a girl!"

Oh... right.

"You just haven't met her!"

Wait. Did he not-

"Who? Gran Gran? I've met Gran Gran."

"No, besides Gran Gran. Look, my instincts tell me we have a better chance of slipping through on foot, and a leader has to trust his instincts."

"Okay, we'll try it your way, o wise leader."

Aang appears at my side with more of our supplies fashioned onto his back, similar to how Sokka has decided to make his. "Who knows? Walking might be fun."

Mini time skip...

"Walking stinks!" Aang complained, lightly dragging his feet in the dirt. "How do people go anywhere without a flying bison?"

I stoped walking a little while ago, since my leg felt all worn out. Sokka wouldn't let me change his mind, claiming that since he was the leader I had to follow his instructions for the time being. So here I am, laying down on Appa's saddle, watching over the skies above. I feel kind of guilty about it, but everyone agreed that since I'm injured, it would be excused.

"I don't know Aang, why don't you ask Sokka's instincts? They seem to know everything."

"Ha ha, very funny."

"I'm tired of carrying this pack."

"You know who you should ask to carry it for a while? Sokka's instincts!"

"That's a great idea! Hey, Sokka's instincts, would you mind--"

"Okay, okay, I get it!" Sokka snapped, and I shifted into a sitting position to actually see the situation. "Look, guys, I'm tired too. But the important think is we're safe from the Fire Nation," the end of his sentence tapers off, and I've already climbed down from Appa.