Water || Untie You

I don't know how long we stayed that way, enjoying each other's reassuring warmth, letting the built up stress drain from our bodies. The ever present drumming of our hearts harmonize to conduct nature's nocturnal song. My breath slows to a meditative state as my conscience settles to rest. Sokka's hand traces a circle between my shoulder blades, his palm pressing lightly into my skin to alleviate tension. I allow my muscles to melt into his touch, releasing the overwhelming sensation filling my thoughts. His figure softens to wordlessly display I'm casting the same effects onto him.

Reluctantly we part, Sokka's hands sliding down my arms. His palms cup the backs of my fingers while he speaks. "We can ask people in the next village we go to. If it connects back to Earth Kingdom traditions then there's a good chance someone can recognize the painting."
I give a broken hum of agreement.
"You need some sleep. Let's leave this for tomorrow." He lets go, slowly rising onto his feet, placing the heirloom gently inside my pack laying in the grassy underbrush. I watch him as he tends to the fire, securing it before he settles onto his sleeping bag. He must've been extremely tired since he's asleep after a few seconds.

I fall onto my back, situating myself inside my own sleeping bag. I gaze into the endless sky littered with brilliant stars gleaming over the dark blanket of the atmosphere. The moon casts a hazy glow upon our camp to replace the firelight that burned out to a dwindling flame minutes earlier. An uneasy feeling settles into the pit of my stomach as I twist my limbs in strained attempts to find a position comfortable enough to ease the surge of questions replacing the calming emptiness I experienced minutes before.
I let out a frustrated sigh that catches the attention of Momo. He lands on my stomach, peering into my own eyes as his have captured slivers of the starlight. I pet his soft fur as he settles in, telling me he plans to sleep here tonight. I'm thankful he does as it distracts my wandering mind.

I find myself awoken to the aroma of tea boiling accompanied with the chatter of a conversation between siblings. I groggily move towards the pond, soap in hand, lazily peeling off my outerwear so I'm in my undergarments by the time I reach the water's edge. I step into the cool water, stimulating my nerves to encourage the blurriness of early mornings to vanish. Although I bathed when we first set up our temporary camp I didn't have the chance to properly wash my hair. I made sure to lather every piece in the suds forming from the block of soap, eliminating any remaining grime that stuck. Aang must've had the same idea as his over clothes were spread over rocks while he practiced dragging water droplets out the fabric.

I watch the tendrils of liquid being redirected back into them pond's surface, sinking in further to dunk my head underneath. I wish my own history could be as easy, as simple as the action of breaking through water. If I had more time I could have asked the meaning. If only.
The constant question of if only is one I'm all too familiar with. If only Mother had told me from the start. If only Father had given me a proper answer to all the strange occurrences that I must've caused in retrospect. If only I could understand why I needed to be protected. If only I had more time.

"Y/n, Aang, breakfast!" Sokka calls.
The airbender races over to the others, his speed casting a gust of wind strong enough to dry me off. I hastily tug on my clothes before taking my cup of tea.
"So, you all know right?" I sigh, blowing on my drink.
Katara and Sokka exchange a look with Aang. He nods, "Yeah. I wish any of us could help but we were gone for one hundred years and they've never left the South pole till now." He lays the drawing on the grass for everyone to inspect. I scan over the details once more, memorizing the brushstrokes.
"I understand. I feel that there's something I need to learn that I haven't. I was visited by Feshsen and Fiko in my dreams but even than they never said anything about it."
"Well I still have a lot to learn too! We can find out more on our way to the Northern Water Tribe."
"That sounds nice."