Water || Surrealism Never Sleeps

The world has come to a standstill. Air drapes heavily around my body, eyes never blinking at the horrific display of nature's ever present strength presented in a great capacity. We watch as the raging waters demolish buildings as if they were paper, debris swelling in waves. Personal possessions are stripped of their glory once the muddled liquid washes over them. I'm choking down oxygen in an attempt to center myself but it only seems to phase through my lungs.

"Y/n we gotta go. Come on." Sokka's voice is hollow compared to how he was moments ago. He tugs on my sleeve causing my feet to tangle in each other. He breaks into a run while I regain my balance well enough to trail after him.
I block out the sound of rushing waves as we crash through the forest's edge, Sokka quickly gathering the reigns while I tumble onto Appa's saddle. With unsteady hands I tuck the card into a safe spot, forcing myself to leave it be for now. I need to target my worries onto the tasks at hand. I run through them in my head while we ascend into the air:

1. Find and/or rescue Aand and Katara
2. Get back my switchblade
3. Make sure Jet never pulls another stunt like this again

No words are exchanged between any of us, except for Momo's confused chitters that are silenced after I gently stroke his fur, my mind recounting my short list over and over. Soon we hear clashing voices, familiar ones at that. I can immediately identify Jet's condescending tone that he used only when something hasn't gone to plan. I scramble to Appa's head, gripping onto Sokka's shoulders to make sure I don't slide off into oblivion. We catch what I assume to be the last bit of a remark from Jet as we level out with the clearing used as a miniature battle ground.
"--and this valley will be safe."
"It will be safe, without you."
Seeing Jet frozen to a tree grants a smidge of pride to enter my system as Katara finally realized what was happening. It's easily snuffed out by the pent up anger finally being allowed to flow freely from my bones.

"Y/n! Sokka!" Aang and Katara call out to us. I nod my head slightly, not taking any chances of removing my sight from our trapped enemy. Momo springs past my shoulder, landing safely in Aang's outstretched arms.
Sokka must've sensed I wasn't going to speak, so he decided to explain what we did on our end to our miniscule audience.
"We warned the villagers of your plan. At first, they didn't believe us and assumed I was a spy."
I finally found my voice and spoke up, "But after some explaining a village elder vouched for us. The very same one you attacked. Thankfully we were able to get everyone out in time, preventing any casualties you'd cause."

Appa positions himself next to the cliff's edge to allow Aang and Katara to climb onto his back. The young airbender easily propels himself up, making haste to appear next to me. He gently taps my shoulder while holding out his hand.
"I think this is yours," he says with a smile.
I breath out a relieved sigh. "Thank you."
Jet is struggling against his icy restraints, craning his neck to get a better view of us. "We could have freed this valley!"
"Who would be free? Everyone would be dead." Sokka's eyes are pooled with a mix of disappointment, sympathy, and the inability to forgive Jet's actions. Maybe he was holding a smidgen of hope that Katara would prove us wrong in the end. Not everything can have a happy result.

"You traitor!"
"No Jet. You became the traitor the moment you stopped protecting innocent people."
Katara still hasn't joined us, her position of intently focusing on the dirt with her back turned to the boy who lives in the woods. It appears the events of the day are finally starting to be processed by her conscience. Jet beckons her, "Katara, please, help me."
Her irises begin to cloud over with tears threating to spill from behind her eyelashes. She inhales deeply, solidifying her decision; "Good-bye Jet."
Then she slowly advances towards the flying bison's tail, while I make a snap judgement to jump off the furry creature, running towards Jet once my feet touch the ground. I quickly release the blade from it's jade hilt, tilting up the shaggy haired teen's chin, forcing him to meet my gaze.