Water || Another Believer

I lazily wander back into the village, noticing a steady stream of excited townsfolk walking towards the main plaza. I follow, making sure I've wiped off any spare tears from my cheeks. A ceremony must be commencing, as the surge of people are surrounding a grand pavilion. A massive volcano looms overhead, ominously watching the village below. It's an unnerving proximity in which these people have decided to settle so close to the destructive force. I push the negative feelings out of my main focus, instead searching for the familiar blue and orange clothes of my friends. My crying must've been quite heavy since I have to tuck stray pieces of hair back to look more presentable. I nervously thread my fingers together as I shuffle through the sea of spectators.

I spot them at the front of the group, gazing at the sky. As I walk further I hear a woman speaking to them. "The cloud reading will tell us if Mount Makapu will remain dormant for a year, or if it will erupt."
"We used to have a tradition once a year of going up the mountain to check the volcano ourselves, but ever since Aunt Wu moved to the village 20 years ago, we have a tradition of not doing that." I recognize this to be the old man we ran into earlier today. Everyone has a rather happy and hopeful demeanor, greatly contrasting the slow building dread in my stomach.
"I can't believe you'd trust your lives to the crazy old woman's superstition!" Sokka's annoyed tone flowing through his voice.
I kick at a loose piece of stone, "She may know more than you think... sometimes."
"Y/n! Where have you been!" Aang exclaims, leaping at me with a warm embrace, Momo cuddling into the side of my neck. Katara smiles but gently shushes us, warning of Aunt Wu's approach.

Everyone turns to watch her delicately ascend up the staircase, followed by the white-haired man I saw outside the house of fortune. Cheers of respect and praise burst from the townsfolk, parting the way for the eccentric duo to walk through.
"Hey Aang, don't you think that cloud looks like a flower?" Meng suddenly appears, closely placed next to the Avatar.
He takes a tentative step back, "Sure, I guess."
My eyes widen as he pushed her away by the shoulder, repeating the same phrase to Katara. In response she once again shushes him, turning back to Aunt Wu with an admirable look plastered on her face. I shake my head, returning my attention to the fortune teller, her dramatic ritual starting.

"Bending-arrow cloud..." She glances down at a sheet in her hands, "Good crops this year. Nice big harvest." Positive affirmations ripple through the crowd.
"Wavy, moon-shape cloud, let's see... gonna be a great year for twins! And a cumulous cloud with a twisty nub coming off the end of it. The village will not be destroyed by the volcano this year!" she declares, raising her arms triumphantly to the sky. Everyone rejoices, fawning over her tidings of good luck. Even Katara rushes towards her with a gleam of appreciation twinkling about her.
I allow a tired sigh to slip past my lips, dropping my gaze down. Aang suggests to get something to eat to lift my spirits and I easily comply. Once we reigned Katara back to our group we found a small restaurant with outdoor seating. I watch the leaves above sway with the breeze as a sever placed a portion of local foods in front of me. I poke around my deep green bowl, watching noodles and vegetables swirl in the light brown broth. Steam curls around my chopsticks as I pick up a piece of carrot.

"So... what was everyone's fortunes?" I ask hesitantly.
"Not this again, it's a total sham."
"You're just mad she said your future is full of struggle and anguish you cause" Katara teases.
"Am not! It's a complete lie," Sokka fusses, waving a hand in the air to ward off the statement. His knuckles hit into his glass, spilling water onto his tunic. Sokka angrily grumbles, slumping in defeat with his forehead meeting the table.
I gently snicker, "She wasn't too far off. How about you Katara?"
"Oh, she told me all about my future husband!" she swoons. Aang starts to fidget beside her, so I assume he's anxious about what else she'll have to say. "I'm planning on going back later to learn even more."
I latch onto the opportunity, "Could I go with you? I still have a few things left unanswered."
"Sure!"
Sokka sighs, "Don't feed into her delusions!"