"I think you forget that I chose to give up the mafia." She took a deep breath, "I don't want it. I also don't want to know about it."

God, she surprises me everyday.

I laughed and turned up the radio with a sudden burst of energy. It felt so wrong to laugh with everything going on in our lives. So so wrong.

I often thought about how shit our lives were. They had been for a while. Bump after bump in the road, until they became less like bumps and more like mountains. Because every time you loose someone it gets harder and harder to carry on.

It could be worse. It can always be worse, so we have to take what we have now—and that's my excuse for this rare moment of happiness, between the grief and the pain and the heart ache.

Bombing down the empty city road in the morning sun, I smiled brighter than I have in months.

After a few long moments to myself, Harley tapped my shoulder, "Vi—" I looked over at her; she was pointing to the door with her cheeks puffed up and her palm clamped over her mouth.

I pulled over. Harley swung open the door, undid her seat belt and ran. She made it all of five paces before emptying her stomach.

I huffed and followed her out of the car to where she was hunched over on the grass. I gathered her hair in one hand and rubbed circles on her back with the other. "Let it all out." I said softly, trying not to grimace.

I kept my gaze away from Harley puking and observed my surroundings.

The cemetery.

An immediate sadness washed over me thinking about all of the familiar names engraved onto tomb stones. Too many.

I thanked the heavens for the distraction when a bright orange McLaren perked my attention, smoothly pulling in front of my car.

Damn.

I did a double-take when a young man holding flowers opened the door. With his messy blond hair and striking blue eyes, he make his way to the passenger side.

He opened the door, "C'mon then kid." He said lifting a little girl into his arms.

She had a effervescent grin like sunshine in the mists of the grey surroundings, "Daddy?" The little girl asked

"Yes love?"

"Can I hold the flowers for nana?"

"Yeah course." He smiled a loving smile for his daughter as he carried her into the main gate.