Chapter 34

Hi so ik ur prolly sick of hearing it but I want to say thank you from me aswell! 10k is insane and we're so grateful xx
~Reece

👻

Flashback, Jacob's POV

"She won't" I said skeptically whilst pulling myself out of the pool to sit next to Harley.

Vixen had been living with us for a few weeks. She kept to herself, only speaking when necessary. She was always alert though — watching us, maybe even silently judging.

She was sat on the grass with the sun blazing down on her. I caught her glancing at us as dad threw the weights in the pool and Harley and I raced for them.

Harley kicked her legs in the water, "She might?"

"We asked her to join yesterday, and she said no."

"But maybe this times different?" Harley was too optimistic. To me, it looked like vixen didn't want to be here. I couldn't blame her really. I knew so little of what she had been through, but I knew it was a lot for her to live with us.

"It never is. She even left early from dinner last night too." I mentioned.

"Yeah and? Maybe she really was tired."

"I don't believe it. It's obvious Vixen doesn't want to be here, so we need to let her have her space."

"But—"

Dad clapped his hands for our attention, interrupting Harley, "You two ladies done gossiping?" 

"We're not gossiping... We're just talking. What's wrong with that?" I said ruffling my wet hair.

"Nothi—"

"Don't you want your children to have a friendly relationship dad?" Harley raised her brows.

"Yeah dad," I threw my arm around Harley and pulled her into me, "We're besties."

"I wouldn't go that far." Harley murmured, trying to push me away, but I wouldn't let go. "Let go Jake." She pushed.

I smiled as she squirmed, "Let go!"

I laughed, tightening my arm, keeping her in a head lock.

"Dad! Tell Jacob to let go of me!"

"Jake." Dad warned.

"Ugh, you're such a little snitch." I said pushing her away.

Harley death stared me before standing up. Water dripped from her pink bikini and long brown hair. She tried pushing me in the pool but I didn't budge.

She screamed as I picked her up and jumped in.

"Besties." Dad scoffed as we resurfaced.

"Vixen," Mom called, "Do you want to join them in the game? I think Jacob needs someone to humble him." Mom smiled so bright and friendly, for a moment I thought Vixen might consider her offer.

Vixen looked between us all, her eyes bouncing as she thought. Her emotions were hidden well, but I could almost see her mind working a million miles a second. As if she were going through every possible outcome and situation before making a balanced decision.