Chapter 27

Sapnap's POV:

The clap and sting of a bruising hand seared an engraving welt upon my cheek. And with it, fresh droplets of blood dribbled from a clean cut of the metal bracelet he wore. I winced and grimaced, almost staggering at the tingling pain.

"That was for ghosting me for four years." Karl scowled, eyes blazing with a fury, unlike the jovial man I knew before. And for a moment, his eyes flashed, as if planning to scold me more, but quickly realized how public our disposition was.

And so, before I knew it, I was being tugged off, pulling into a private alleyway.

I'll have to find George later, I guess.

From between narrow walls, the sunlight was swallowed up, along with the noises and shouts of a bustling crowd. The air was grungy and thick, and the tension didn't help make it any less suffocating. Unknowingly, I began to shuffle.

"Karl... how have you been?" I mouthed, immediately cringing at the meekness of my tone.

While bravery, recklessness, and stupidity came easily to me, my embarrassment and awkwardness did as well.

"You... Sapnap..." he mused, voice ambiguous and emotions disguised. He reached forward and I grimaced again, bracing another attack.

Only, it never came.

Instead, he brushed lightly over my cheek, wiping off the cut from his bracelet. Then, following, I felt the warmth of gentle, strong arms, and a burrowing of his head. In the crook of my neck, trailing warm breaths ghosted and a pile of soft, brunette hair grazed.

"This is for making me miss you for all those years..."

The vibrations of his mutters and closeness of his body brought a heated blush washing over. The sensation of contact was almost euphoric, tingling.

"Sorry," I murmured dumbly, a little lightheaded from the proximity, "I didn't want to make things awkward for us..."

He frowned.

"Still could've left a note."

There was a bite in his tone and I was confused. His voice held the bitterness of coldest winters, yet he held me so tenderly, as if I were delicate glass.

I couldn't tell if he wanted to kiss me or snap my neck. I wouldn't blame him for either.

"I'm sorry," I murmured again, unsure of what to say. The bubbles of conflict, guilt, and relief all blended into an emotion I could only describe as confusion. I frowned, reaching a hand and hesitantly rifting through his locks. They were like silk beneath the fingertips, smooth and soft.

"I'm sorry. I don't deserve you..."

Dumbly, I just repeated it, mumbling and whispering lowly as if it were a mantra. And in response, he finally pulled away, pressing a silent finger to my lip.

"Quiet, Sappy." He spoke, quipping on the endearing nickname. I flushed immediately and his lips quirked smugly, smirking at my immediate compliance. I frowned, pouting a little and glancing off.

"Aren't you mad?" I asked, attempting to muster an indignant, haughty look. Unfortunately, what came of it was a more shy, embarrassed gaze instead. Karl rolled his eyes.