Chapter 39

Several days had come and gone since Sam and Dean's first night back in Louisiana, and Dad was getting a lot more used to having the boys around. 

He'd asked Sam to chop some firewood for the fireplace, had Dean hang a shelf in the living room and do a tune-up on his car, and he seemed to have finally accepted the fact that Dean and I were sleeping together in the same room. 

Though Gyda and I both tried, Dad was adamant that the luncheon after Sunday service carried on, so most of our time was spent planning and getting things ready. Plans were made with the assistant pastor, who initiated a phone tree that got the word out to the aging congregation. 

"Are you sure we have to go to this church thing?" Dean asked Saturday afternoon. We were on the way to the inn to make sure things were still locked up and remained undisturbed. I'd been meaning to do it since I'd been back in Louisiana, but things had been so hectic that I hadn't gotten a chance to get over there until now. 

"I know you don't want to go. But it would mean a lot to Dad if you go. And I don't know if I'll make it through the whole thing without you," I replied. 

He sighed as he turned into the driveway of the house, but didn't argue further. We'd been having this conversation since they'd gotten back. I almost wanted to tell him not to come, but I knew what it would mean to Dad to have him there. And after being apart for so long, I honestly didn't want to be away from Dean if I didn't have to. Even a few hours seemed like an eternity. 

Dean pulled the car up alongside the front porch, and we both got out and walked up the few stairs to the door. I inserted my key into the lock and unlocked the door, then opened it and stepped inside, Dean following closely behind. Everything looked as we'd left it- though a thick layer of dust had settled on the place in my absence. My feet found their way to the study, and I unlocked that door as well and stepped inside. Nothing was disturbed, thankfully. I could only imagine what would happen if someone broke in here and found all of the papers that my mom had complied in her years of hunting. They'd probably try to throw me into the loony bin. 

"Everything looks good," Dean said a few minutes later. The sound of his voice made me jump. I hadn't heard him come into the study. I looked up from the book I had began to flip through, and nodded. 

"Thank goodness. I was worried someone might break in while I was gone. But Dad said he'd been keeping an eye on the place. I'm glad people are leaving this place alone."

I stood and threw the book down onto the pile I'd picked it up from, and then turned toward Dean. "I guess we can head back now."

"I have a better idea," he said, a mischievous look in his eyes. 

"Oh yeah?" I said, taking a step forward and wrapping my arms around his neck. "What's that?"

"Well, we can't be alone at your Dad's house..." he began, and I rolled my eyes as I filled in the blanks of what he was trying to get at. 

"Are all men such horndogs?" I asked with a roll of my eyes. 

"Not all men. Some haven't hit puberty yet," he teased. I reached out and slugged him in the shoulder, though I was laughing the whole time.

He rubbed his shoulder. "Ow," he said though I could tell by the twinkle in his eyes that it hadn't hurt a bit.

I stepped toward him and grabbed the collar of his shirt, pulling him toward me and then connecting my lips to his, kissing him slowly, tenderly. 

"I don't know what I did to deserve you," he said with a sigh when I pulled away. His hands gripped my waist, though his right hand was sailing dangerously close to my ass.