Chapter 37

"So how is everything going?" I asked Dean over the phone. "Do you think you've got something?"

"I think so," he replied. "Sammy and I are going to do some research tomorrow and we'll know a little more."

"You and Sammy?" I asked incredulously.

"There's been more victims than just Cassie's dad. We're trying to connect them but so far we're having trouble. Sam thinks that if we do enough research we'll find them. And Cassie is a journalist so she's agreeing with Sam," Dean replied.

"How is she holding up?" I asked.

"She's staying strong for her mother. But I can tell she's not doing as well as she pretends," Dean replied. "But enough about me. How are you holding up? How's your dad?"

"I'm okay. Been spending a lot of time with Emma. Dad gets to go home tomorrow but they've got him on bed rest until further notice. The junior pastor is taking over Sunday service indefinitely. And Gyda and I haven't gotten into an argument yet so I suppose that's a good thing," I told him.

Dean sighed. "I wish I was there with you. I hate that you have to go through this alone," he said.

"I wish you were here too," I replied with a sigh. "But right now, you're where you need to be. Kick some ass and I'll see you soon."

I could almost hear the grin spread across his face. "Well kicking ass is what I do best," he teased.

I sighed playfully and rolled my eyes. "You're so full of yourself." I expected to hear a smart-ass reply but the line was silent, albeit from some muffled background noise. "Dean?" I asked.

"Listen, Sam just got back and he's got a lead on the case. I'll call you back when I know more," he said.

"Alright," I told him. "Until next time."

The line went dead and I snapped my phone shut. Dean wasn't exactly the best when it came to saying goodbyes, but this one felt different. I shrugged it off. I was probably just reading into it too much.

There was a knock on the door and I turned my attention toward it. "Come in," I said.

Emma peeked her head around the door. I was staying with her and Gyda in their guest room until Dean and Sam came back. The room was small, but it was homey- it was a million times better than staying in a dingy motel.

"Dinner's ready," she said, opening the door wider and coming to sit next to me on the bed. "How's Dean?"

"So this is what it's like to live with a little sister," I teased. "No privacy."

"I may have listened to the end of your conversation from the door," she said with a smirk and a shrug. "Shoot me."

I rolled my eyes and stood, then walked toward the door. "Coming?" I asked.

Emma scurried to catch up and we descended the stairs. We rounded the corner into the kitchen and the smell of lasagna hit us like a brick wall.

"Oh my God Gyda that smells amazing," I told her. She gave me a look, no doubt for saying the lord's name in vain, but offered a small smile.

"It tastes even better than it smells," Emma said enthusiastically, missing her mother's look.

We ate dinner together in near silence. Gyda asked Emma about school, and I asked Gyda about Dad, but that was the extent of the conversation. After dinner, I washed up the dishes and then headed back up to my room. I wasn't tired- just emotionally worn out.