Chapter 14

The sun shone through the curtained window and I blinked my eyes awake in the morning sun. It took me a moment to realize how late it was. I glanced at the alarm clock next to my bed and groaned when it told me that it was nearly eleven in the morning.

I jumped out of bed and pulled on a tank and a pair of yoga pants and then threw my hair into a messy bun. I rushed out into the sitting room to find Sam and Dean chilling. Marcus was nowhere in sight.

“Why didn't you guys wake me?” I demanded.

Dean shrugged. “I didn't think it was really necessary. We're done upstairs and if you're sleeping late you must need it.”

“Please wake me up from now on,” I said. Sam nodded in agreement but didn't look up from the book he was pouring over.

“I'm gonna get some coffee. You want some?” I asked of them.

Sam looked up at that moment. “Sure. I'll go with you,” he said.

He got off the couch and trailed behind me as I made my way to the kitchen. There, I took out two coffee cups and handed him one, then headed over to the coffee cup. I poured myself some coffee from the pot and then offered it to him. He took it and I turned away to add sugar and creamer to it.

Sam left his black and we made our way back to the sitting room. I slid onto one of the cushions next to Dean on the couch and Sam went back to his place in one of the armchairs. He picked up his book again and I just sat there sipping my coffee. The silence was deafening and for some reason I found it super awkward.

“Where's Marcus? I asked in an attempt to combat the awkwardness.

“He went into town to get some cleaning supplies. Apparently you're lacking them,” Sam replied.

'Oh. Okay,” I said, slightly confused. I knew for a fact that we had plenty of cleaning supplies. Something was up.

“Am I missing something? You two haven't said two words to me or each other since I've been up,” I stated.

Dean stood with a sigh. “Sammy here thinks I'm being selfish because I'm not out looking for Dad every second of my free time,” Dean said forcefully. My eyes widened. A fight. Great.

“No Dean, I'm not saying you have to look for him in every spare moment. I'm saying that we're not even looking for him at all! He's our Dad, Dean. You showed up because we needed to look for him. And now we haven't even tried!” Sam exploded, his composure gone.

“I'm sorry, but there have been a few other things on my mind,” Dean retorted.

“I've noticed,” Sam spit out as if the words tasted sour, giving me a sideways glance.

“Sam Winchester you leave me out of this!” I snapped. Sam sighed but nodded and turned back to Dean.

“I don't want to hear it, Sammy,” Dean said before Sam could even get a word in. “We're going to finish helping Katherine and then we're going to find a hunt to go on. End of story. Obviously Dad doesn't want to be found and-”

“How do you now Dad is even alive?” Sam demanded. “He could be dead now for all we know.”

“He's alive Sam,” Dean said before disappearing into another room. I sighed and threw Sam a look. He looked slightly guilty.

“Sorry Katherine,” he said quietly.

“Don't worry about it. I just don't like to be put in the middle of arguments,” I told him. “I understand where you're coming from, believe it or not. If Mom were out there somewhere, I'd want to find her as soon as I could too. But you have to see it from Dean's perspective too. Just remember that,” I said. I patted his shoulder and then I too left the room.