Chapter 28

“Look, no offense but I’m not sure I’m comfortable leaving you guys here alone,” Jenny said to me as we walked outside.

“Just take your kids to the movies of something and it’ll be all over by the time you get back,” I assured her.

Jenny nodded, but I could see that she was still uneasy. I patted her shoulder and she began to walk to her car.

I went back inside and met the boys and Missouri who were gathered around the kitchen table. Dean handed me a hammer when I came to stand beside him.

“You and Missouri are in the basement. I’m taking the ground floor and Sam has the second. Let’s do this quick,” he said. I nodded and took the purifier and the four of us dispersed.

Missouri went to one corner of the basement and I to the other. I took out the bag of herbs and had just brought it to the wall when I heard the scraping of a heavy piece of furniture on the floor and whipped around.

A table hurdled towards me, and before I could react, I was pinned to the wall. I let out a cry of pain as it crushed my legs. My eyes watered in pain but through that I could see Missouri moving towards me.

“Finish what you started! I’ll be fine! Just hurry!” I shouted to Missouri. She followed my instructions and went back to work.

I could hear a commotion upstairs and prayed a silent prayer that Sam and Dean were okay.

Missouri came over and placed my bag of herbs where it was supposed to go. The house suddenly went still, no sounds except for our heavy breathing.

Missouri came over and helped me push the table away from me.

“Are you okay?” she asked me.

I nodded. “I’ll live,” I told her.

“Let’s go see how the boys are,” she said, and I nodded. I took a step but winced when my legs, which were probably bruised, sent pain into my toes.

“Are you sure you’re alright?” Missouri asked.

“I’m fine. I promise,” I told her. She eyed me suspiciously but didn’t pursue the topic.

We made our way up the stairs to find Sam and Dean visibly shaken but alive. Dean crossed the floor and cupped my face in his hands.

“Are you alright?” he demanded.

I shrugged. “I’ll live.”

“What happened? I heard you scream but I the chord was choking Sammy and I couldn’t let him be strangled by that damn poltergeist,” he said.

“It’s okay, Dean, I’m fine. Just a little bruised,” I promised. “Although if you don’t stop squeezing my face it might get stuck this way.”
Dean removed his hands and took a step back. “Sorry,” he muttered, a bit of embarrassment seeping through his calloused exterior.

“Are we sure this is over?” Sam asked.

“I’m sure,” Missouri said. “Why? Why do you ask?”

“Never mind,” Sam said with a sigh. “It’s nothing I guess.”

“Hello,” Jenny called from the front of the house. “We’re home.”

Jenny stepped into the kitchen and with a quick look around the room, she stopped in her tracks. “What happened?” she asked.

“Hi, sorry. Um, we’ll pay for all this,” Sam assured her. Dean looked slightly taken aback by Sam’s statement but didn’t correct him.