Chapter 7

“Tell me again why after after a day or research, we still have nothing to go on,” Dean insisted as he stabbed a piece of pie more violently than necessary.

“You know, it’d be easier to bring back something of use if you’d have told me any leads,” I said to him.

“Alright, both of you shut up,” Sam said, and I rolled my eyes.

“I’m not going to be blamed here. I dug up everything I could about that damn family and in return all I get is a scolding because it’s not enough,” I spat.

“We’ll no offense but-” Dean began, and I slammed my fist down on the table, causing several people to look over at us with alarm.

“If you think you can do it so much better, than maybe you should,” I told Dean.

“Maybe I will,” he said defensively.

“Fine then, it’s settled,” Sam said. “I’ll take Katherine out with her new badge and  you can stay home and research.”

Dean huffed and mumbled something unintelligible under his breath but I ignored him and addressed Sam. “I want to speak wit Lucas Barr. Or try to anyway,” I told him.

Sam nodded. “We met him at the police station. His mom is the sheriff's daughter.”

“His mom is also the widow of the drowning vic before Sophie,” I told him. “And Lucas was there when it happened.”

“If he saw anything, that could really help our investigation,” Sam agreed.

“Thing is, we can’t just stroll up to the kid and ask him what happened since he doesn’t speak,” I said.

“I know, I know,” Sam said with a sigh.

“Maybe there’s some other way,” I contemplated.

“Well, what do we know about the kid?” Sam asked.

“He draws,” Dean said quietly.

“How on earth-” I began, but Dean cut me off.

“I pay attention,” he said defensively.

“Well maybe we could get him to draw something,” I suggested.

“Have you ever even talked to the kid?” Dean asked incredulously.

“Actually, I have,” I spat back.

“If you two don’t stop arguing I swear to God,” Sam said, finally fed up with our bickering.

We both huffed and stared daggers across the table at each other.

“I hate to be the bad guy here, but as of right now, I’m agreeing with Katherine,” Sam said. “We need to go check this kid out, and we need to get it done soon, before more people start dropping dead.”

Dean huffed again but said nothing more.

“I’m finished,” Sam said, pushing his plate away.

“We should head to the hotel,” I said, and he nodded in agreement before turning to Dean.

“You done yet?” Sam asked.

“Dean nodded his head stiffly and threw down the money for our food, before scooting out of the booth, pushing Sam with him.

We made our way outside to the impala, and I opened the door and slid into the back seat. Dean took off and a few minutes later we arrived back to the hotel.

I grabbed my key and unlocked the door to my room, stepping inside. I crossed the floor to my bag, digging through it one last time and finally finding a pair of jeans. I threw them on and then knocked on the door between our rooms.