XXXVI. TRENTE-SIX

CHAPTER THIRTY

WHEN YOU ARE little everything seems so big. As you look up  — with eyes filled with innocence and curiosity  — there are so many things that seem as if they are miles and miles away. The smallest things look so big in a child's hand. However, there is nothing bigger in a child than the curiosity within their hearts, swimming ever so clearly in their irises. A curiosity that can not be quenched. For there will always be a question and there will always be an answer.

It is always the smallest question that falls on the shoulders of innocent children, tainting them slowly. There is a thing about the curiosity contained within children  — something that taints their souls, one question at a time. One wrong question. One wrong answer. One more question with no answer.

"Mommy?"

They say curiosity killed the cat.

"Why did you lock the door, Mommy? I'm scared of the dark, let me in!"

And you, Lily, are the cat.

How many questions are there that simply have no answers? Why is Mommy not coming back home? Why does Daddy hit Mommy? Why does everyone hate the color of my skin? Why? Why? Why must I be different? So many questions, so many wrong answers, so many children turned into adults.

"Close your eyes, Lily. Mommy loves you."

"Mommy, let me in. I need to call Daddy! You're bleeding!"

"Shh, my sweet Lily, close your eyes. You're a good girl right?"

"I-I can't."

"Always the most curious, my love, don't let your curiosity cost you."

"Mommy?"

"Close your ... eyes."

What about those answers given with no questions? What is a child to do with an answer to a problem that never existed? A death that wasn't bound to happen? A smile that wasn't supposed to be erased so soon. What is a child to do with too many wrong answers and all the right questions?

A puzzle.

Life is a puzzle. Each question has an answer. Then some don't have an answer -- in their place a wrong answer takes position, whispering I love you forever, even though forever is a mere moment in the span of their lives. Each question is a puzzle waiting to be solved, whether it be through force or allowing time to fix it all.

Life is a puzzle.

Life is a circle.

When you shove the wrong answer in, life is bound to give you another chance.

Choose the right answer, or do not choose at all.

"Little Venus dug herself a grave, caught in her web of lies with only enemies to bury her name..."

Whatever you do.

"I know what you did the night Venus died."

Don't choose the wrong answer.

+ + +

Close your ... eyes.

Lily.