XLI. QUARANTE-ET-UN

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

There is never a clear moment in anyone's life when they are sure something has ended. Memories surely fade, but they don't disappear, so how is it that things end? There are always strings attached to every event, to every person, every relationship  — memories. Memories that haunt, memories that envelop the person in a warm hug, reminding them of the happiness they experienced when it all started.

Humans are like books. Some are convoluted messes that people can never understand, others are open  — written in simple terms. Some are lovable like romance books, and some are feared like horror or classics. Like a book, each human comes with a set number of chapters - with a set number of pages. Beginning, middle, and end.

No matter how many chapters, there is always a beginning, middle, and end.

Venus's beginning at Centennial Secondary School was also the beginning of her end. Two parallel events led her six feet under.

Perhaps if her story had a name it would be "The Undoing of Venus Wilson". A story about a girl who played with fire thinking she wouldn't get consumed by the flames.

"Little Venus dug herself a grave, caught in a web of lies with only enemies to bury her name..."

My enemies will remember my name. Please don't forget my name.

The Reckoning of Kate Rodriguez. A story about a woman who was wronged, a woman who sought revenge only to be consumed by her ownself.

"I'll win..."

I couldn't win. I don't think I will ever win.

The Fall of Tyler Meyers. A story about a man who wasn't a man at all, but a boy, too afraid to love the woman he did, too afraid to stand up against the wrong. Too afraid to live the way he wanted to.

"I love Venus!"

I don't love her. I don't think I ever did.

    So many stories exist in this world. Each person walking with a story of fate written on their palms. Many go untold, while others imprint themselves on others, leaving lasting scars filled with bittersweet memories.

Humans. Homo sapiens. Odd creatures, they are the art and the artists themselves.

They are muses. They are life.

They are books with happiness and sadness, and everything in between.

They are everything yet nothing at the same time. Like any book, they are forgotten as the years go by, replaced by new stories, replaced over and over until no one remembers their names.

The undoing of Venus Wilson, The reckoning of Kate Rodriguez, The fall of Tyler Meyers  — if not stories that are meant to be forgotten, they are lessons.

+ + +

    "-And as this chapter ends in your lives, I hope you have reflected on the lessons you have learned during your time at Centennial Secondary School," Principal Foster's voice boomed through the speakers.

    White chairs lined the field, parents and family members sitting, cheering, whistling from the bleachers on either side of the venue. As Trevor looked down at his lap, a dark blue gown covering his thighs, he let out a sigh of relief.

This chapter was over.

    "...Before we begin the ceremony I would like to take this time to honor a student we lost unexpectedly at the beginning of the school year. Venus Wilson was part of the senior class that was meant to graduate this summer, however after an accident..." Foster's throat tightened at the word 'accident' and Trevor straightened his back. He turned ever so slightly to catch Raj's gaze, peering at him like a hawk watches its prey. Trevor shot back to his original position and focused all his attention on Principal Foster. He tried to gulp down the memories he'd suppressed  — surprisingly, forgetting was easy when you didn't think about it and let life take over  — but at that moment there wasn't a word like forgetting in Trevor's dictionary.