I. UNE

CHAPTER ONE

UNLIKE THE REST OF Centennial Secondary School, Kate Rodriguez discovered Venus Wilson had passed away the actual night she died. Everyone at school who hadn't been invited to the Halloween Bash — or were too wasted to figure out that there was a dead body in the pool outside, got informed the day after, during the morning announcements.

It was after everyone had stood in silence while the national anthem played after the menu for lunch was announced, even after the weekly chess club meeting announcement. An abrupt ending that left everyone speechless.

It was like Venus' death was less important than what was being served for lunch that day. As if the school hadn't lost their biggest sponsor's daughter.

     Although, it was true that everyone at school had a mutual disliking towards the rich, little white girl. It still hurt Kate to hear the indifference in Principal Foster's tone.

Perhaps, it was because of the rumors about the two that had been floating around from locker to locker about their 'relationship'. Perhaps, Principal Foster was hiding what he actually felt. Hiding away from people, only to break down alone, whilst he slept beside his wife.

At least that was what people said.

People here loved to twist everything so it could pleasure their deranged minds. Maybe, this was a deranged illusion Centennial Secondary School had created about Venus Wilson and Principal Foster.

Students that had Venus for homeroom had just brushed off the fact that she didn't show up. Venus didn't have good attendance, to begin with. She never had, to be frank. Her not showing up for homeroom wasn't out of the ordinary.

"Maybe she fucked her way to an STI," one sophomore commented.

Others laughed along to his harsh words, excluding Kate.

They didn't know that Venus wouldn't be showing up forever when they had made that comment. Right before the three high-pitched bells rang through the speaker and into the room, commanding attention.

That was when that sophomore shut up.

A closed mouth catches no flies. A lesson the little sophomore had learned.

Some students, including Venus' longtime boyfriend, Tyler laughed wickedly at the announcement. Claiming it was an elaborate prank she had cooked up.

Venus loves pranks... Loved.

Many claimed that she was probably the only non-senior who was allowed to take part in 'Senior Prank Day'. Although that would be because her mother was the one that paid for damage repair. So why not include the little, rich white girl to do some damage too? Then Malia Wilson would have to pay.

"Pranking people is almost as thrilling as the carnival Tyler took me to last night!"

Venus had spluttered out as she shook her can of spray-paint. Kate nodded and asked how Tyler was as if it didn't hurt her.

As if Venus hadn't stolen Kate's boyfriend from right under her nose. Venus got whatever she wanted. Even if it just so happened to be her best friend's boyfriend. So be it, if Venus broke everything — everyone to get to what she wanted.

After realizing that Venus wasn't playing a sick joke on him, Tyler broke down and was escorted to the nurse's office. No one knew what happened to Tyler after that day. He disappeared for days and reappeared with bags under his eyes and hollowed cheeks. He didn't look like the captain of the school's hockey team anymore. Just a mere shadow of the Tyler Meyers everyone loved.