Chapter 6 - Amortentia

Start from the beginning

Could she have been describing the Zabini boy? He hadn't ever sniffed his students, and he doubted that he would ever want to. He would simply ask Rowan after class who the scent reminded her of. "See you later, Professor," Zabini said with a wink before leaving the classroom. Severus jumped at his chance. 

"Rowan, may I ask who your amortentia reminded you of?" He blurted, internally cringing at how desperate he sounded. "Well, you never told us what yours smelled like," Rowan countered as she took a seat on the side of his desk. Severus' breath hitched as he saw her robes inch up her leg. "Mine smelled very similar to Mr. Zabini's. Though, I would say she smells more of freesia than a sweet pea plant," He admitted, looking up into her eyes. "You would never forgive me if I told you who my scent reminded me of," Rowan said vaguely as she turned her attention to the arriving students. 

"Rowa- Professor Knight," Severus corrected, but she shook her head at him as she took her stance at the front of the classroom. "Welcome!" She said with a bright smile that could make Severus melt. "Today, I have prepared for us amortentia. Now, can anyone tell me what amortentia is?" Rowan looked around and saw that nobody had raised their hand, which she had expected. This class happened to be younger than the ones before and hadn't reached that part of their studies. 

Severus was about to complain about their imbecilic behavior, but Rowan quickly spoke before him. "That is perfectly okay! We all need to start somewhere. Now, if you will take out your books and turn to page two-hundred and three. There you will find some information on this particular potion," 

Severus smiled at how kind she was. She didn't seem to care that they didn't know the answer to the question she asked, as long as they got the information she was teaching. Perhaps he could learn something from her after all. 

. ⋅ ˚̣- : ✧ : – ⭒ ⊹ ⭒ – : ✧ : -˚̣⋅ .

Severus let Rowan take control over the lessons, which ended up being very beneficial for him. He was able to get caught up on grading. This would mean he would have free time for the first time in years. "I've cleaned up the last of it, Professor. I'll just get heading to the Great Hall," Rowan said but she soon felt a hand wrap gently around her wrist. 

"Rowan, who did your amortentia remind you of?" Severus asked as he let go of her wrist and took a step back. Rowan's eyes dropped down to her feet and she shook her head. "I can't, Severus. I can't keep doing this," Rowan said as she took a few steps away from him. "Please," Severus whispered, and Rowan looked up to meet his eyes. 

"It's you, Severus. It's been you since I first got here. I know you regret what happened yesterday, and that's why I didn't want to tell you," Rowan said and Severus stood with his jaw on the floor. His gaze fell to the floor in shock. Nothing was said, they stood in silence and tears slowly filled Rowan's eyes. "This is why," She said and ran out of their classroom. She was going to enter the great hall, but when her teary eyes met Juniper's, she knew that she wouldn't be able to hide her emotions. She rushed out into the courtyard, Juniper following close behind her. 

"Rowan! Wait up," Juniper called, but Rowan only ran faster. She needed to get away from Hogwarts. Away from him. "Rowan!" Juniper called out again, except this time, Rowan fell onto her knees. This allowed Juniper to catch up, and sit down beside her breaking friend. "Oh, Rowan," Juniper whispered as she watched her friend collapse in front of her. "Do you want me to go and get Millicent?" Juniper offered but Rowan only clutched onto her friend harder. She didn't trust herself to use her words. 

"Okay, we'll just stay here then," Juniper said as she rubbed her friend's arm. "Is it something with your family?" Juniper asked as she knew very well about some of Rowan's childhood. If anything, Juniper was one of the only people who Rowan had told some of what had occured. She hadn't even told her other friends. Rowan only shook her head, leaving Juniper guessing at what had happened. "Is it Snape?" She asked, this time with less confidence. Rowan nodded and cried harder into her own sleeve. Juniper tensed up in anger. "I will hex him, Rowan. Do you want me to hex him? I am so willing to get kissed by a dementor over this. Just give me the word and I will cru-"