Not Interested

Amity was flopped over her bed, kicking her legs in the air like she was in an early 2000's pop song music video. Those girls would always sing about falling in love with a cute boy, and how it made them feel. When Amity was in middle school, she would practically study those songs for hints at how she was supposed to feel when she fell in love. Back then, it seemed like everyone was dating someone... except her.

Over the years, she grew to like being single, bragging to her friends about the freedom it gave her. How she could spend Friday nights at home, finishing homework instead of out, hanging out with some boy who would statistically break her heart.

That was another thing. Amity would always say how "99% of highschool relationships don't last long term", or how "only 2% of those relationships don't end in divorce". Her friends would call her a fun-killer, or something to that extent, but Amity always took comfort in those numbers. It meant there was no rush to fall in love, or to get the annoying rich boyfriend her parents wanted her to get.

Now though, as she was laying on her bed, in the DMs of the prettiest girl she's ever seen? Amity wanted nothing more than to forget those stupid statistics.

Love makes you blind.

It's a saying that she's always heard from her brother and sister (mainly to tease the other), and one she always kept close to her heart. Love gets you distracted from the things in your life that you should be focusing on.

That thought had been replaying in Amity's head ever since yesterday when she first saw Luz Noceda. When the girl had walked in the English classroom, warning lights flashed in Amity's head. Warnings that she hadn't really thought about, and didn't want to.

Luz- 6:45am
what's up princess?

Amity had read the message around, oh... 100 times.

Amity- 6:47am
Nothing much, Noceda. What's up with you?

Luz- 6:47am
nothing much lol just stalking your account for useful information about u

Amity- 6:50am
You know you could just ask. What do you wanna know?

Luz- 6:51am
hmm the fact that u have auto caps on might answer my question frvijdujp

Amity- 6:51am
What's wrong with auto caps??

Luz- 6:53am
nothing...

Amity- 6:54am
Then what did you want to know?

Luz- 6:55am
do u listen to girl in red

Amity looked at the message for five minutes, trying to decipher some meaning. Was that a podcast? What did a podcast have to do with auto caps? Amity cleared her mind, and decided to just look it up. After a quick trip to Urban Dictionary, Amity's eyes grew wide.

Luz was asking if she was gay. Which meant Luz was probably gay, and was expressing romantic interest in Amity!

Amity half-heartedly scolded herself for treating this like a math equation, but she couldn't help it. Luz was interested in her romantically, and Amity felt the walls closing in around her. What was she supposed to say? She wasn't exactly the most... out... person. Hell, she hadn't even really come out to herself yet.

She looked at the time. She had to respond. Say... something! Literally anything would be better than leaving Luz on read.

Amity- 7:01am
If you're asking if I'm gay, the answer is no.

Amity released a breath and put her phone down. She flopped down on her back, looking up at the ceiling and closing her eyes. Shit. There went her only chance at love, huh.