Calm Before the Storm

Luz Noceda made Amity want to be a better person.

Over the past few days, whenever she would have made fun of someone, or spread a rumor, she chose not to.

It wasn't a huge step, but it was a step in the right direction.

Sure, Amity had only known the girl for a week and a half, but Luz had made such a big impact in her life in that time that Amity wasn't sure what she would do without her.

There were so many good things about loving Luz Noceda. The way her eyes would light up when you complimented her. How she would always make sure you were okay. The way that she always somehow knew when you weren't okay.

All of these in account, there were a few cons to being in love with Luz Noceda. First off, there was no way that Luz liked her back. Maybe Luz had shown interest a week ago, but Amity had inadvertently made sure there was no way she still liked Amity. At least like that.

Second of all, Amity had been so occupied talking to Luz every night that she was behind on homework for the first time in her life. Amity didn't realize she was behind in school until her maths teacher handed back a quiz, and Amity got a B.

She didn't want to sound like *that* kid and he upset over one B, but usually, those kids didn't have parents that watched over their every move.

Surely enough, that night, Amity's mother called her into her study.

"Amity, dear?" Her voice had its usual tone. Almost sweet. Almost motherly. But not quite.

"Yes, Mother?"

"Your math teacher called me today. Do you know what he said?"

"I assume it was about my recent grade on our quiz?" Amity tried to keep herself at a calm tone of voice. Keep her poise. It didn't slip away from her.

"So I don't have to tell you what you did wrong, then."

"No, Mother."

"You will speak to your teacher tomorrow and see about getting those points back?"

Amity knew it wasn't a question.

"Of course, Mother."

"You never get B's."

"I know, Mother. I'm sorry. I promise it won't happen again."

"Well, what happened?"

Her mother was looking for a confession. Amity wouldn't give it to her. "The content is just harder than I'm used to. I misunderstood the questions."

"Are you sure there isn't anything distracting you, Amity?" Her voice was cold.

Amity panicked. She knew. She knew about Luz. Shit. But wait. What could she even know? Even to them, they were just friends. Not dating. Not romantically involved.

Amity took a deep breath. "Of course not, Mother."

"Then you are dismissed."

Amity cried herself to sleep that night.

Amity came to the realization that things needed to change. Majorly.

She couldn't just text Luz every night like she had been. She still needed to remain at the top of her class. She also couldn't let herself stare at Luz during math class anymore.

The truth her mother had been looking for was that Amity got distracted by Luz during that exam. The way her hair was super messy that day, Amity couldn't help but imagine running her fingers through it, brushing it out of Luz's face. And then Amity had noticed how Luz bit her pencils when she was thinking. Amity couldn't take her eyes off of the girl's lips until the teacher announced they had five minutes left, and Amity had yet to even begin the exam.