Let's Run Away

On Friday morning, both Amity and Luz had stomach aches from nerves.

Amity was going to do it. She was going to ask Luz to run away with her. She was going to confess, and not let her damned parents control what the fuck she did with her life. She was gonna get the girl like it was one of the cheesy romance movies she spent her whole life hating.

She wasn't exactly sure what she was going to say, or if Luz would even say yes. She was so hyped up on adrenaline that those thoughts didn't worry her. As she sat in class all Friday, she couldn't pay attention. But school wouldn't matter on Monday, when she was eighteen and could just... leave it all behind.

Could you just drop out of school at 18? Amity wasn't sure, but she knew she would find out eventually.

Either way, Amity couldn't wait for tonight.

During English, she had made plans with Luz to "work on their project". But in reality, Amity wasn't going to be at school Monday. With luck, she would be in the city, moving into some tiny apartment with Luz. It wouldn't be much, but they would be together.

The twins had been saving up money in case something like this ever happened. Neither of them would lose their parent's funds, because they were planning on moving out in college anyways.

So last night, Emira handed Amity an envelope full of money to "get her started". Edric offered her and Luz a place to live if anything went wrong, and Amity couldn't help but start crying again.

It almost felt like a trap, her siblings being so damn nice. If they hadn't all talked about running away when they were kids, Amity wouldn't have trusted them. But getting away from their parents and family name had been the plan since they were kids.

The pressure of being a Blight was something none of them wanted.

That night, Amity dreamed of getting married to Luz and changing her last name to Noceda.

...

Luz didn't know how to do it. She didn't know how to tell Amity that she wouldn't be there on Monday. When Amity asked her if they could finish that English project after school, she didn't have the heart to say 'actually, I won't be here for the presentation on Monday, and I'm moving hours away to live with some family that I haven't ever met'.

Eda had explained everything last night. When her mother was admitted to the hospital a few weeks ago, the doctors said that Luz was going to have to live with someone while her mother was recovering.

Nobody really told anyone specifics about what had happened to her mother. Only that she wasn't going to be able to stay home with Luz, and because Luz was a minor, she would have to find someone to live with. Unfortunately, because Luz was that.... minor... she couldn't really choose who she wanted.

Thank god Eda had stepped in for the time being.

Luz knew it wasn't going to last forever, living with Eda and going to school with her new friends, but she still hadn't really accepted the fact that she was going to have to leave it all behind for good.

When her mother had gone to the hospital, the nurses promised with confidence that she was going to be okay. She just needed to stay there for a little while.

Luz wished everyone would stop treating her like a damn child.

The nurses looked at her like she was some kid, and not someone who would be turning 18 in a few months.

She could tell they were telling the truth about her mother being okay, but with the amount of time that had passed, and the fact that she was now going to live with her mamá's sister, Luz was worried.