Part 35: Take Back Our Lives

Me and Germany were sitting outside for what felt like an hour. Hardly any words were spoken, but we can find comfort in each other's silence. I noticed Germany quietly studying the world around him. It almost makes me smile despite the desperate situation I'm in.

Maybe once all of this is over everything will go back to normal. Maybe they'll let Germany go. I can show him all of my favorite places, and we'll have a picnic together in the forest.

This wishful thinking may be foolish of me, but wishful thinking is one of the only things that gave me motivation to stay alive. That and all those that will miss me. I wonder if anyone would've told Germany if I had died while he was locked in the palace? Would he think I abandoned him?

More and more people make their way outside. Germany let's go of me and I stop leaning on him. He knows that I don't like being babied, and he didn't want to embarrass me. However, after everything that has happened, I don't really mind anymore. It's nice getting cared for by the people you love. After all, you never know which loving embrace would be the last.

I decided to go check on Australia now that everyone was outside. When I walk in the room, I see New Zealand still sitting by his side. I sit next to the bed with New Zealand and take Australia's hand in mine. His chest was slowly moving to match his slow breathing. We remain silent for a while. How could I call myself their older brother if I can't even protect them? I feel the tears forming in my eyes, but I refuse to cry in front of New Zealand.

"Kiwi...," Australia said weakly. New Zealand's eyes lit up. I feel Australia's hand shift to properly hold mine.

"Australia... I'm so sorry...," New Zealand said between sobs.

"Th-this isn't your fault," Australia said, his voice shaking.

"Who did this to you?" I asked.

"Imperial... he figured out I s-sent animals t-to help y-you...," Australia said. I want more than anything to stab Imperial in the stomach, but I try to remain calm. "I-I can't believe I survived th-that fall... I saw... I th-thought it was an angel... but it was an eagle... it d-didn't grab me in time... but it broke my fall...," Australia said.

"The eagle... was it luminescent?" I asked. Australia silently nodded. "It... was it the same one who saved me?" I thought out loud. Australia looked up at me, hope in his eyes, but a serious look on his face.

"Ame, they locked mum and dad up and they took Canada's power... I... I want to help them... but I can't... p-please, forget all the sh*t dad t-told you for once in your life.... b-because they need all the help they can get," Australia said. A tear falls from my eye, but I quickly wipe it away.

"I won't let you down Aussie... I swear I'll kill Imperial for what he did," I say.

For the next hour, Australia helped us form a plan. He informed us with everything he knew; that my mom is trapped in UNs old study room, and my dad along with other big enemies of Reich are trapped in UNs private conference room, which Reich had turned into a throne room. Everyone else is trapped in the ballroom being watched over by Soviet and Imperial.

We put together all the weapons we can find. Mexico and Poland broke into a local armory and got us all the protection and weapons they could carry. Australia was left at Switzerland's house to rest, with Switzerland taking close care of him.

As we approach the palace, I begin to feel a wave of fear crash down on me. I've never fought in such a dire situation like this before... I barely even fought to begin with. I feel a hand latch onto mine. I turn to see Germany, an uneasy look on his face. I hold tightly onto his hand and take a deep breath.

"Well... this is it... any last words just in case we don't make it?" Mexico asked.

"Way to lighten the mood...," China said. Mexico sighed.

"Look, if anyone has something to confess or to say, now would be the time to say it," Mexico said. Everyone looked at each other, and decided to say their last words.

"I should have never let my jealousy get the better of me...," New Zealand said. Indonesia put a hand on his shoulder.

"They took advantage of all of us... the least we can do is try our best to make things right," Indonesia said.

"I swear to take back everything those bastards took from me... even if it kills me," Poland swore. Everyone nodded in agreement.

"And I swear to beat the sh*t out of North for convincing me to trust Confederate," China said. I feel Germany's grasp on my hand tighten. He took a deep breath.

"I swear to kill my father, and hopefully to finally end my association with him," Germany pledged. Everyone stared at him in surprise. To those who didn't know him well, they might say he looked determined. However, I saw the uncertainty in his eyes. I bring his hand closer to me. I will make sure both of us live to see the perfect world we've daydreamed about for years. Where he's free, and nobody underestimates me. I don't say it out loud, but Germany and I exchange a knowing nod.

"Ok, we all ready?" Mexico asked. I feel a sense of panic we'll up inside of me. Godd*amn it me! Just say it already!

"Mexico... I'm so sorry for everything. And I'm so sorry for ignoring you all these years... please don't forgive me, I don't deserve that. But I at least want my childhood friend back," I blurt out. She stares at me in surprise, but then smiles.

"I don't forgive you, but I do want my friend back. Oh, and you have to clean my house. And take care of my garden for me," Mexico said. I smiled.

"Deal," I say.

"We ready now?" Poland asked. We all glance at each other.

"Yeah... time to take back our lives,"