Part 23: Wings

I lead Poland over to Germany and sit him down next to him.

"Germany, you said you read a survival health guide. Do you think you can patch him up?" I ask. Germany looks up in thought.

"Well, I would need fabric...," he says. I sigh and take of my coat.

"Use this. Just try and stop the bleeding. I'm gonna go climb a tree and see if I can see how far the palace is from here," I say. Germany takes the coat and nods.

"Don't fall," he says simply. I look down at Poland, who remains silent. I sigh and look for a tall tree that I can climb.

I remember when Australia and New Zealand were younger they would always force me and Canada to race them in climbing trees. No powers allowed of course, or else Canada would just use his magic to bend the tree branches into stairs. Damn, that could really come in handy right now. I wonder if my family escaped from the palace...

I can't believe I just left them.

No, they are all strong. I'm sure they would have found a way out by now.

Right?

I shake my head. I can't think about this right now. I have to focus on one thing at a time.

I come across a fairly tall, but climbable tree. I take a deep breath and try to push back all of the worries plaguing my mind. I grab onto a low branch and begin my ascension. As I lift myself up through the trees I can't help but notice all of my worries drift away. There is something calming about climbing higher and higher. I guess it really takes your mind off of all of the small worries you have.

I make it rather high up. I can see over many of the surrounding trees and look out into the distance. Looking straight ahead I can see only green stretching out for miles and miles. I turn to my left, then my right to see a mountain on either side in the near distance. I maneuver my way towards the opposite side of the tree. Sure enough, I see the tall palace in the distance. Although, the palace appeared different. Even from this far away you can clearly see the sinister aura coming from that direction. We have to get back there and fast. I may not have the strength to protect my friends and family from the evil that awaits us, but I at the very least want to ensure their safety.

I quickly decent from the tree and make my way back to Germany and Poland. As I make my way closer, I can already hear the two of them bickering.

"Ow! Be careful! You could rip my feathers out!" Poland exclaimed trying to pull his wing away from Germany.

"Please calm down. I'm just trying to help," Germany said calmly. Poland just crossed his arms and pulled his wing closer to his back. I sigh.

"Poland, please. He really just wants to help you. You were badly injured back there," I say. Poland looks up at me and deeply sighs. He extended his wing for Germany.

"Just... be careful... my blood feathers are really sensitive," Poland said. Germany nodded and continued his work. Poland got hurt at the bone part of his wing, and since covering his whole wing would require a lot more cloth that we don't have, Germany was being extra careful and weaving the cloth in between Poland's feathers and then wrapping it around the wound. Germany had to be really careful not to accidentally damage or tear out one of Poland's feathers, especially the ones closer to the bone part. Those feathers were blood feathers, which are a lot more deeply rooted and could be really painful and damaging to rip out.

Once Germany finished bandaging Poland's wings, he absentmindedly started to gently pet them.

"Are you done?" Poland asked. Germany looked startled.

"S-sorry... I didn't...," Germany stuttered, embarrassed. Poland let out a small laugh.

"It's fine. They are soft after all," Poland said. Germany stood up and awkwardly offered Poland his hand. Poland gave a unsure, but polite smile and hesitantly let Germany help him up.

"Ok! So, the palace is that way. We should get going," I exclaim. The two nod and we head on our way.

"You lost them?!"

"Look, I couldn't keep track of them. Something attacked me-,"

"Whatever. You served your purpose. Wether or not you completed your goal doesn't affect mine,"

"What do you mean 'I served my purpose'?"

"Well, you helped me take down the leader. You acquired three hindering crystals and almost the entire town is bowing down to me. I don't think I'll need your assistance anymore,"

"So... what does that mean for me?"

"Good question... Imperial Japan?"

"Yes Third?"

"Bring out the bird cage,"

"Wait a second! You said you weren't gonna use your powers against me!"

"Oh, I did? That was a lie,"

"You bastard!"

"Shut up, I'm tired of your yelling. Imperial, shut him up,"

"Of course,"

*ZAP*

"Good, now put him in the bird cage and put him in my new office,"

"Of course,"

*door closes*

"Now, second order of business...

Time to say hi to an old friend,"

* I feel like that last part wasn't clear enough... so just so we are all on the same page Imperial Japan turned Confederate into a bird. Big oof.

No I am not giving Confederate a redemption arc.

Just no.*