Part 25: Snake

Poland, Germany and I were all walking in silence. I mean, what were we really supposed to say? It's kind of hard to have a lighthearted conversation when all of your friends and family are in danger.

"So... uh, who was that guy?" Germany asked, breaking the silence. I sigh. I never talked about Confederate that much. Not to my friends at least. The only people who remember him are Canada, my childhood friend Mexico, and my parents.

"Well... I never told you guys about him... but that was my twin brother, Confederate," I say, trying not to lose my cool.

"He... didn't seem to like you much," Germany said awkwardly. Poland rolled his eyes at Germany's obvious statement but didn't say anything.

"Well... yeah... I killed him a long time ago... it was in self defense," I said softly. I never told anyone this before, except of course my parents.

"W-what happened?" Germany said, obviously surprised. I remain silent. Should I really tell them?

"You don't have to tell us if you don't want to," Poland said, as if he read my mind. I sigh.

"No, it's alright. It's been a long time... I think I should get it off my chest," I say. I take a deep breath. "I guess I should start at the beginning...

Me and Confederate were very mad at our father, so we asked for our grandfathers help in ...well.... hurting him basically. Our parents weren't married at the time, and my grandfather was very unhappy that my mother and father had three children without his knowledge. So my grandfather willfully accepted helping us. I feel horrible to admit this... but I never felt stronger than the day my father surrendered. Me and my brother continued to live with my grandfather, until my mother had enough of him abusing her, neglecting her and forcing her to stay inside... and um... well, we had to live in an orphanage. We would still occasionally go out and meet new people. Canada refused to talk to us for the longest time though... my father wouldn't allow him to anyway. As we grew older, we started picking fights with people. I will never forgive myself for hurting my old friend Mexico. She was the first friend I ever had, and I hurt her just to feel some sort of twisted validation.... sorry, I'm getting off topic... anyway, me and my brother got into a huge argument and it ended up getting violent. But in the end I... I... s-sorry... I..." Germany puts his hand on my shoulder.

"It's ok Ame, you don't have to tell us any more," he said. I sighed. We continued on in silence

"Erm, Germany?" Poland said. Germany visibly tensed up.

"Y-yeah?" Germany asked.

"I'm sorry for accusing you off trying to kill Ame... I guess I was just scared you'd be like... well... you know," Poland said. Germany remained silent for a few moments.

"It's ok, if I were you, I wouldn't have trusted me neither," Germany said. We continued in silence, but were the slightest bit more comfortable. Sure, Poland and Germany aren't exactly friends yet, but at least they're talking to each other. Eventually, we come across a swampy looking area.

"Alright, I hope you don't mind getting your shoes wet," I say, taking the first few steps forward. Germany and Poland followed close behind.

"W-what if... there's some sort of... creatures in the water?" Poland asked, clearly uncomfortable that he can't just fly over the swamp. Germany was glancing around, as if looking for something.

"Shh! Do you here that?" Germany exclaimed suddenly. We stop in our tracks and listen closely. Suddenly, I see something approaching. "Oh no...," Germany whispers.

Three large alligators started coming towards us. Although, they seemed different from any average alligator. They were light gray with what appeared to be lime crystals growing out of their backs. They inched toward us slowly.

"I knew it...," Germany said under his breath.

"Knew what?!" Poland exclaimed. Germany sighed.

"Hindering alligators. Most popularly known as jeweled beasts of death," Germany said.

"Well that's a reassuring name," I exclaim sarcastically.

"They are the result of a group of wizards trying to make alligators that are able to kill someone with even the strongest of powers-," Germany started.

"Why the hell would someone want to make that?!" Poland exclaimed.

"They tried to make them a docile creature until attacked. Needless to say, it didn't go as planned," Germany said. The three of us exchanged looks. Welp, looks like this is how I die.

Suddenly, we hear footsteps all around us. Various animals calls echoed through the forest. Even the alligators stopped in their tracks to listen. The source of the footsteps grew closer and closer until a pack of wolves emerged from the forest, surrounding us. They faced the alligators and crouched down, as if they were about to attack. There was silence for just one moment, when all of the sudden every kind of bird you could imagine flew in and flocked around the alligators. Some would even fly close and attack them. The alligators snapped wildly. They were able to get a few birds, but they were greatly outnumbered. More and more animals emerged from the forest and surrounded the alligators. I feel something tugging on my shirt. I look down to see a small wolf. The pack of wolves started pushing us away from the swamp, occasionally grabbing our clothes if we lingered for too long. They brought us to a small clearing.

"They... saved us...?" Poland questioned. The wolves started to retreat back into the forest.

"What the.... why...?" Germany said. Suddenly, I feel something brush up against my leg. I look down to see a small snake.

"Jack?" I exclaim, picking up the snake. Germany and Poland give me a strange look.

"Jack?" Germany questioned. I smile.

"Yeah, Jack! He's the first animal my brother tamed when he got his power!" I exclaim. Poland smiled and sighed.

"Of course It's a snake...," he said.

"Huh, he must have sent the animals to come help," Germany said, smiling.

"He's okay...," I whispered to myself, letting Jack slither around in my hands.

"Well, I guess we should keep going," Poland said. Germany and I nod and we continue our journey towards the Palace.