Gym Class Heroes

Chapter 11: Gym Class Heroes

“How are you feeling?” Sammy asked as they were getting changed for gym.

“I’m fine,” Katelyn said, pulling on her tank top.

“You certainly got yourself a bruise,” Jane added, nodding toward Katelyn’s arm.

Katelyn subconsciously covered her arm with her hand. “Yeah…it’s a shiner,” she agreed.

“What do you think we’re working on today?” Sammy asked, putting her hair up in a ponytail.

“I heard some of the boys were moving out of the special help classes,” Jane told them. “Apparently some of them were really good at combat.”

“We’ve already seen Derek and his friends’ combat skills,” Katelyn said, locking her locker. “Nothing special…”

“You think he got moved out of special help?” Sammy asked.

“Hard to say,” Katelyn replied. “But if anyone, I think it would be him.”

“He is pretty skilled,” Jane agreed. “But you seem to really dislike him.”

“Even after he saved you,” Sammy added.

Katelyn sighed. “I don’t need anyone to save me,” she informed them. “Especially not a boy.”

“Alright,” Jane said, dropping the topic. “We should head out or else we’re going to be late.”

Sure enough, five guys were moved into the senior girls’ combat class. Derek, Cole, Aiden, a boy with glasses and… Katelyn recognized the fifth guy. Soft brown eyes, dimples, Katelyn had run into him when they were at the Lux Hotel.

“Alright people!” Miss Phelps said, clapping her hands.

Everyone immediately hushed.

“Miss Bates is here to observe you today,” Miss Phelps added, gesturing to the bleachers.

Miss Bates sat there in a floral print dress and turquoise crop jacket with laptop in lap. Katelyn always wondered how someone in Co Ops had so many pretty clothes just lying around. While Miss Dame wore all black, Miss Bates always had these cute boots with flowery summer dresses.

“Miss Bates and I went over your level of skill levels yesterday evening,” Miss Phelps informed them. “Today we will have a tournament to see where you actually match up. Look at the screen please.”

Everyone turned to the giant screen in the corner of the gym that was used as a score board.

“Oh…” Katelyn breathed as brackets appeared on the screen. Everyone in the gym class was paired up with someone. Winners moved onto the next round while losers were eliminated.

“First five brackets will start,” Miss Phelps announced. “Get on the mats.”

Obviously, it wasn’t a fight to the death. This was gym class after all. The mats had a white circle with a ten feet diameter. You won by knocking the other person out of the ring.

“Good luck!” Sammy called to Katelyn and Jane.

“You too,” Katelyn replied.

Katelyn wasn’t quite sure how the teachers came up with the pairs. She won her first two rounds effortlessly. After helping her opponent up, Katelyn took a quick peek up into the bleachers. Miss Bates and her made eye contact for the briefest moment before she turned back to her laptop to type.

“Hmmm…”

Katelyn capped her water bottle and slowly turned. Derek was sitting on the bleacher next to where she was standing.