Katelyn's Student

Chapter 15: Katelyn’s Student

It was really obvious the next day that the seniors were tired. Katelyn drank a coffee during breakfast to stay awake for her morning classes. During lunch, she sipped a giant glass of coca cola.

“Drat,” Sammy said, picking up her tray. “I didn’t finish reading that chapter.”

Katelyn looked at the clock on the wall. “You have half an hour before first period,” she informed her friend.

“Yeah, going to go do that right now,” Sammy said, hurrying off. Her ankle boots clacking across the floor.

“Katelyn,” Jane said.

“Yeah?”

“I promised a few girls to study for the math test,” Jane said, slowly.

“Go ahead,” Katelyn said, smiling. She pulled out a book from her bag. “I’ll just read as I eat.”

“You sure?”

“Yeah.”

“You don’t have to study?”

Katelyn shook her head. “I studied yesterday.”

“Alright, see you later!”

“Bye.”

Katelyn probably got two chapters into her book when she felt a presence.

“Looks like we had the same idea,” Derek said, clinking glasses with her. He gracefully slid into the chair across from her.

Katelyn looked up. “I think everyone had that idea,” she said, picking up her tray.

Her peaceful morning will not be spoiled by Derek Livingston.

“Wow, grumpy much?” Derek teased.

Katelyn rolled her eyes. “What do you want?” she asked.

“Just some casual conversation...”

“I don’t want to talk to you...”

“Really?” Derek asked. “Do you like listening to me talk?” he asked in a lower voice. He stuck something to the side of Katelyn’s glass.

Katelyn studied the tiny black device. It was the listening bug… She glanced up at Derek who had a smug grin.

“So you found it,” Katelyn scoffed not knowing why he was looking so smug.

“Unfortunately too late,” Derek said, leaning closer to her. “I fell for the same mistake twice.”

“Three times and you’re out,” Katelyn said, smugly.

“Oh, don’t worry, I won’t make the same mistake again,” Derek assured her.

Katelyn slung her messenger bag over her shoulder. “You’re free to try,” she mocked.

“And you’re free to spy on me anytime,” Derek whispered, walking uncomfortably close to her. “It kind of turns me on...”

Katelyn almost dropped her entire tray but Derek simply laughed and walked away. Katelyn bit her lower lip and quickly turned around to dump out tray. She held the listening bug in her hand and felt her cheeks get warm. Why did he always have to mess with her!

"Are you ready to head to history?" Rachel asked after breakfast.

Derek nodded and threw out his trash. Rachel waited for Derek to grab his things.