Merge of Academies

Chapter 10: Merge of Academies

“What do you think classes will be like?” Katelyn asked, buttoning up her sleeveless blouse.

“I have no idea,” Jane replied, turning off her straightener. “Can they keep up?” she asked, skeptical.

“The teachers aren’t going to slow down for them,” Katelyn guessed. “This is our senior year.”

“I heard they were in half special help classes,” Sammy said, zipping up her makeup bag.

“That’s embarrassing,” Katelyn laughed.

Derek and his smug grin in special help classes. Katelyn could live with that.

“You know what I’m craving,” Sammy said, changing the topic.

“What?”

“Crepes,” Sammy said, sighing. “Whenever I spent time with my sister this summer, we’d always go for crepes.”

“How is your sister?” Katelyn asked.

Sammy shrugged. “Like everyone else in Co Ops, always on the move. She did send me a letter and cute bracelet from Paris a while ago though.”

“And what about your brother?” Katelyn asked Jane.

Jane laughed. “He’s just a regular college student. He’s studying to be a nuclear engineer.”

“Oh,” Sammy said. “Expected from your family.”

“Yeah,” Katelyn agreed. “Jane, you’d be smart enough to work in a lab,” she added.

“Trying to get rid of me or something?” Jane demanded playfully.

The girls laughed.

“Just trying to remind you of your options,” Katelyn amended.

Many students from Grace Marshall don’t actually work directly under the IA after graduating. Some may choose to major in business or law like normal high school students but they still help by providing funds and building more connections.

“We better get going,” Jane announced. “I want breakfast.”

Breakfast today was pancakes and sausages. Katelyn drenched her plate with maple syrup and grabbed a glass of soy milk before joining her friends at their regular table.

Sammy cleared her throat as they were halfway through breakfast. “Derek at 12 o’clock.”

Katelyn glanced up. Yup…there he was with Cole and Aiden. All the Guildford Marshall students were dressed in their navy blue uniforms.

She turned back to her breakfast but out of the corner of her eye she saw Rachel waving them over to their new table. Derek said something and Rachel laughed, her pearly white smile lit up her face.

“Well, Rachel isn’t being a stranger,” Jane noted.

Katelyn took a sip of her soy milk. “Rachel is nice to everyone,” she stated. “I just hope all the girls won’t get distracted by the boys,” she added, rolling her eyes.

“Boys are rather vain things…” Sammy remarked, casually looking over Jane’s shoulder. “I mean, look at Cole. He’s trying to look so cool just because he’s sitting at a co-ed table.”

“Just don’t worry about it,” Katelyn offered. “You’re a better spy than him and that’s what counts.”

“Of course,” Sammy agreed. “I’ll work in a lab before I let a boy beat me.”