Covert Operations

Chapter 4: Covert Operations

 “Where?!” Sammy and Jane asked at the same time.

Katelyn pointed up. The mall had a very tall ceiling made of glass. There were large crisscross construction beams overarching the mall. The glass ceiling showed clouds in the sky.

“Beams in the clouds!” they all exclaimed at once.

“I’ll get it” Katelyn volunteered. “Watch for security coming.”

“Got it!”

Katelyn rushed over to the wall and climbed up it. She easily swung up onto the beams and looked around. The cube had to be around here. Katelyn crawled through the beams and searched.

A person flipped through the air. Katelyn jerked back, almost falling off the beam. The boy from before sat on a beam a few feet away from her.

“Hi again,” he greeted with a grin.

Katelyn glared at him. “What do you want now?” she asked. She didn’t even know how he got up here so fast in the first place.

“Oh- what’s this?” he asked, reaching over to another beam. Katelyn’s jaw dropped open when she saw the cube with red designs in his palm.

“Give that to me!” Katelyn demanded, trying to grab it.

The boy held it out of her reach. “Why should I? You aren’t very nice to me.”

“It’s mine,” Katelyn told him.

“Said who? I found it on the ceiling beam” the boy said, smugly.

“I need it!” Katelyn said.

“Then come and get it,” he said, dropping onto a beam below her.

Katelyn immediately flipped under the beam she was on. The boy easily leapt from beam to beam.

“He has it!” Katelyn called to her friends. She grabbed his elbow and tried in vain to grab the cube he always held away from her. He was tall. Katelyn estimated at least 6 feet.

“Hey, easy there,” the boy said.

Katelyn glared at him. “Give me the cube or else you will regret it!” she ordered.

“What are you going to do?” he asked, smirking. “Slap me?”

Katelyn raised an eyebrow. Slap him? She was not some stupid high school girl... Katelyn balled her hand into a fist and threw a punch.

“Whoa!” the boy said, dodging to the side. “Nice punch for a girl...”

Katelyn was definitely going to let him have it. She swung her leg up but he caught her leg and flipped her. Katelyn was surprised at his self-defense skills. She easily landed on her feet though. Good but not good enough to beat her.

This temporarily distracted him. Jane kicked the cube out of his hand and grabbed it out of the air.

The boy whirled around and knocked the cube out of her hand. Soon it was Katelyn, Sammy and Jane against the boy.

“Who are you guys?” he asked, tossing the cube up and down. “Ninjas?”

“We just don’t let people like you push us around,” Katelyn said, crossing her arms. “May I please have the cube,” she asked through her teeth.

“Where’d you learn your martial arts?” he continued to ask. “It’s really good.”

“Look,” Jane said, being the calm and collected one of the group. “We have a contest right now with some friends. We really need to get the cube back or else we’ll have to face consequences. Can I please have the cube?” she politely asked, holding out her hand.