Rachel Williams

Chapter 20: Rachel Williams

The problem of having a last name "Williams" means that you are almost always last in line. Since the fear simulation was going by last name alphabetically, Rachel was in one of the last groups still sitting in the auditorium.

Luckily, her best friend ZiWei Zhang was still chilling with her.

"I'm kind of scared," ZiWei said, tapping her nails on the back of the chair- something she always did when she was worried.

"There's nothing to be scared about," Rachel said, giving her friend a reassuring smile.

"I wish I was as confident as you," ZiWei said. "Anyways, have you talk to Derek lately?"

Rachel sighed. "Not really," she replied. "He's been missing a lot."

"Where does he go?"

"I think to see Katelyn."

"Katelyn...Hathaway?"

"Yup."

"Why??"

"What do you mean why?" Rachel asked.

"Not to be rude," ZiWei said. "Katelyn isn't as pretty as you."

"Pretty doesn't make you a good spy."

"It should at least get Derek..." ZiWei trailed off.

"Oh hush," Rachel said. "Derek and I are fine being friends."

"Rachel Williams," a teacher said. "You're going in."

"Thank you," Rachel said, standing up. "See you later, ZiWei."

"Bye. Good luck!"

Rachel walked down the dim halls with her short heels clicking against the linoleum.

"Hello," she greeted the lady in the white lab coat.

"Good afternoon, you must be Miss Williams?"

"Yes," Rachel said, taking a seat.

The lady went through the same process as she did the entire day; set all the equipment in place and then using a calming voice, urged Rachel to close her eyes.

"She's such a pretty girl!" a hushed giggle rang through the air.

"Oh, Beth, she's beautiful!"

"She is a darling!"

Rachel's eyes fluttered open and she realized she was laying on a bed surrounded by plush pillows.

"Those blue eyes...Beth!" a woman laughed.

Beth was Rachel's mom. Rachel saw her mom look up from a thick textbook.

"It's Rachel's study time," Beth said, closing the book with a thud.

Within a blink of an eye, it was just Rachel and her mom.

"Mom?" Rachel asked.

"Yes dear?" she asked. "Are you just going to lay there in bed all day? Spies aren't lazy."

"Yes Mom," Rachel said, slipping out of bed. She noticed the frilly nightgown she was wearing, it had been her favorite as a child because it made her feel like a princess.

"Sit down, Rachel," Beth said, setting the large book on the table in front of her. "We're going to start reading this together ."

"It's too hard..." Rachel began saying.