Girls vs Boys

Chapter 13: Girls vs Boys

It was late at night when Katelyn and her friends returned to their dorm room. Katelyn sat on her bed in her yoga pants and sports bra. Sammy had a bathrobe on and Jane was her in pajamas.

"How was your experience?" Katelyn asked her friends.

Sammy set down her brush. “Mixed feelings,” she simply said.

“What do you mean?”

“I don’t know,” Sammy said, braiding her hair. “I’m still not fond of Cole but he’s honestly not that bad.”

“What about you, Jane?” Katelyn asked.

“I never thought Aiden was bad,” Jane replied. “He’s quiet like me so we’re kind of awkward.”

“I guess that’s not too bad,” Sammy remarked, turning to Katelyn. “But I heard you and Derek got the fastest time in the entire grade.”

“Yeah,” Katelyn admitted. “Derek could be a really good spy. He’s just so annoying.”

“What do you mean?” Sammy asked.

“He is the only person I know who can make me mad under 5 seconds.”

“So you like him,” Sammy interpreted.

“What? No!” Katelyn exclaimed. “Derek Livingston? Maybe in another life. Just kidding, never.”

“So cold,” Jane laughed. “What about Timothy?”

“What about him?” Katelyn asked.

“He sounds nice,” Jane shrugged.

“We’ve talked once,” Katelyn reminded her. “Besides, I’m not interested. I just want to graduate and work in Co Ops.”

“Yeah same,” Sammy agreed. “But no harm in a little fun during high school.”

“Let’s talk tomorrow,” Katelyn said, yawning. “I’m beat.”

“Agreed,” Jane said. “Goodnight!”

“Goodnight,” Katelyn and Sammy mumbled back.

Jane turned off the light and the girls snuggled into their respective beds. Katelyn laid on her back, trying to sleep except today kept replaying in her head. During the exercise, she was too hyped up on adrenaline but now that she was calm, Derek wasn’t awful. He did give his thick skull a good whack against the desk for her. Was it really for her?

His hand when it interlaced with hers- No! No! No! What was Katelyn doing? She despised him. Everything about him irked her.

“Yeah,” Katelyn whispered to herself. “You’re overreacting.”

With that, she pulled the covers over her head and closed her eyes.

The next morning, Katelyn felt exhausted. She didn't sleep well because every time she closed her eyes Derek's voice would be in her head.

Katelyn sleepily nibbled on a boiled egg.

"Hey Katelyn!" Rachel exclaimed, scooting next to her.

Katelyn jerked awake and scooted over. "Uh...Hi Rachel," Katelyn greeted.

"How was Co Ops yesterday?" Rachel asked. "I heard you were Derek's partner."

"Yeah I was..." Katelyn said, sipping her soy milk.

"You're so lucky!" Rachel sighed.

Katelyn had no idea why Rachel was here. They were friends but Rachel didn't sit at their table...ever.