On a Hunt

Chapter 23: On a Hunt

It was nearing the end of ranking week and the teachers were really upping their game. The senior class was instructed to meet in the main gym and dress in black. Katelyn had on black leggings and a soft off the shoulder t-shirt with a pair of black running sneakers.

Sammy stood beside Katelyn in her black yoga pants and a tank top with a chic cropped jacket. Jane wore yoga pants and a plain black V neck t-shirt. She even had glittery black stud earrings.

Miss Bates wore a white summer dress with a denim jacket over it. Her clothes made her stand out in the sea of black.

"Tonight requires you to bring your best in patience, stealth and stamina," Miss Bates explained. "This could take all night but I expect better from a Grace Marshall senior."

The lights in the hallway suddenly went off. Everyone whispered but was quickly silenced by Miss Bates.

"We're going ghost hunting tonight," Miss Bates announced.

Katelyn chewed her bottom lip. Ghosts huh? Like actual ghosts?

Miss Bates smiled. "I hope none of you are afraid of the dark because the entire campus has become pitch black. No street lights or doorway lights. You will have a single pair of night vision glasses."

"What happened to the night vision contacts we got fitted for?" a girl asked.

"I decided on glasses for a specific reason," Miss Bates explained. "It's windy tonight so don't lose them. If you do lose them, well good luck to you then. You'll have to improvise which is good practice too."

The girls nodded.

"Okay, so now time to explain the exercise itself," Miss Bates said. "Tiny lanterns are floating around campus. Find them and bring them back to the academy. Here's the catch, the academy is not as it seems..."

Everyone filed outside and gasped. The entire campus looked haunted. Holograms and actual props were set up everywhere. Katelyn felt a shiver travel down her spine. They seemed to be in some Halloween movie. The eerie glows that seemed to have faces but not quite could appear at any given moment. The wind howled and cut through the grass and tree branches.

"The dorms have bots that will be traveling the hallways. Don't get caught by them or else points will be deducted. Bring your lanterns to breakfast tomorrow."

Miss Bates yawned and folded her arms. "Alright ladies," she said. "Good luck...I'm going to bed." Miss Bates turned on her heel and went back inside.

After a few seconds all the girls scattered. Everyone went in different directions.

"Come on!" Sammy urged, pulling Katelyn into the midst of the darkness.

Jane laughed softly. "This is hardly frightening," she said. "They're only holograms."

"Let's split up so we don't fight for lanterns," Sammy suggested. "I'll go west, Jane, go east and Katelyn, you go north."

The girls nodded and split.

"Only holograms," Katelyn told herself as she put on her night vision glasses. "This will be a walk in the park." Hopefully, she would follow through and not get creeped out.

Katelyn dashed around to the trees, hoping a lantern was stuck in the branches.

She almost screamed when a drop of cold water slid down her neck. Clamping her hand over her mouth, she continued walking on. It was only a bit of leftover rain water falling from a leaf. Nothing to be afraid of.