she sings you to sleep

The whimpers that continued to fall from your lips broke your girlfriend's heart. You were uncomfortable, the twenty-four-hour bug you came down with clearly making you feel miserable.

Not daring to touch your stomach in case it only caused you more discomfort, she settled for rubbing her hand up and down your back and running her fingers through your hair.

Your skin felt clammy against her fingertips. You only had a slight fever, which was expected with this sickness. The thing that seemed to be bothering you the most though were the cramps and nausea that lingered even after getting sick.

"Jisoo?"

"I'm here," she whispered, suddenly realizing she'd become so entranced in her thoughts that she had stopped rubbing your back comfortingly. "Are you okay?"

"No. I want to sleep."

"Then sleep, baby. It'll probably help you feel better."

"I can't." You whimpered.

"What do you need me to do?" She asked, wishing you'd give her something, anything, to do to help. She'd do it in a heartbeat. "Heating pad? More water? Some soup?"

"Actually," you swallowed thickly, closing your eyes as her nails lightly brushed along your back. "I'm sleepy but I just can't fall asleep. Could you maybe sing to me?"

She kissed your shoulder lingeringly, smiling to herself. It made her heart feel happy, knowing you find comfort in the sound of her voice.

"What do you want me to sing you?"

"Anything." You pleaded tearfully. "Anything, Jisoo. I just want to hear your voice."

"Okay." She spoke softly. "It's okay. Just close your eyes, I've got you."

You let out a shaky breath and closed your eyes. You felt her tuck a lock of hair behind your ear, followed by the brush of her nail against it. It was relaxing; her touch just as comforting as her soft, beautiful voice.

Quietly, she sang softly in your ear. She peeked around, watching your eyelashes flutter against your cheeks as you drifted off to sleep.

"Jisoo?" You mumbled tiredly, eyes still closed.

"Yeah?"

"Thank you. For taking care of me and being here for me. I don't know what I'd ever do without you and especially right now."

"Shh," she hushed softly. "I'm always here to take care of you. You'll feel better soon, I promise. Now sleep. Focus on my voice and my touch. I promise I won't stop until I know you're fast asleep."

You nodded slowly and, as she resumed singing quietly, you found yourself drifting off to sleep.

Truthfully, neither of you were sure how long it'd last with how gross you feel. But Jisoo hoped that you'd rest well, because you deserved too.

She heard your breathing turn soft, watching your chest rise and fall steadily. She carefully rolled over to turn the light off before putting her hand on your back, where it stayed.

"Feel better soon, my love. Sleep tight. I'm here if you need me." She whispered and continued to hum quietly till she fell asleep minutes later.