Fourteen

"It's absolutely perfect!" Rose squeals.

She's standing behind me in the mirror, and we're both gazing at my reflection in wonder. I can't even recognize myself in this dress.

"Are you sure you want it in red? Black is your signature color..." she ponders.

"Yes. Has to be red. It's, uh, you know, a holiday party?" I try my best to cover for how quickly I answer her question.

"God, I need a rich boss. Or a sugar daddy. How does one get a sugar daddy?! There must be plenty of bored rich dudes in New Jersey, fuck."

We laugh as I change out of the red gown, and back into my drastically less expensive street wear.

I'm nervous about the price tags on the dress and heels, but he did say to look nice and to use his card. We make our way to the counter and the snooty women give us both judgmental looks, as if they know we're out of place.

That is, until I hand over the heavy black credit card with Kylo Ren's name on it. Their demeanor changes immediately, they know exactly who he is.

One of them carefully zips the gown into a garment bag while the other gently places the shoe box in a white bag with PRADA written on the side.

They both wish us a very happy holiday season and if there's anything we need at all, please don't hesitate to let them know, yadda yadda yadda. It takes everything I have to not roll my eyes at them, I feel like I'm in the middle of a "Pretty Woman" scene.

Along with Kylo's money, the day is spent. We wandered through different stores for hours until I found the exact perfect outfit. We chatted about Kylo, and Rose let out a small scream in the middle of Gucci when I told her about the balcony kiss. We contemplated the Vic situation while browsing Saks Fifth Avenue.

We decide that V's motives are still unclear and I'm not even entirely sure if I'm actually into him or not, so it's good that Rose is going to the venue tonight so she can get a firsthand look at the situation.

"Are you going to read any of your poetry?" she asks.

"What?? No way! You know crowds terrify me, and I only let you hear my stuff because it's you."

"Oh come on! How about we make a deal?" I can see the wheels turning in her mind as she plots. "I just so happen to have my ukulele in the car, and if I play a song then you have to do a small reading. Pretty please?"

She bats her eyelashes at me, and knows how much I love to hear her sing, so I give in.

"Okay fine. But emphasis on SMALL reading, Rose," I acquiesce. "Not trying to make a fool out of myself."

"Oh babe you won't! Tonight is going to be so much fun. Let's get these treasures back to your place, pre-game a little, and change for the party!"

I give her a brief tour of the penthouse, and her jaw is practically on the floor at every turn. It feels wrong to let her peak into his studios, so we skip those and focus on the common areas and my room.

"Well fuck me," she says. "I cannot believe you live here!"

We smoke a joint on the balcony before returning indoors to warm up and change for the evening. She's as cute as ever in a floral dress, pink cardigan, and Mary Janes on her feet. I go with black leather pants and a silver tank top, heavy black makeup and a pair of silver heels. We couldn't look more different, but hey, that's us.

Vic says he'll drive tonight, and in his own car this time. After sundown he sends a text letting me know he's here and ready whenever we are.

Rose and I bundle up and then descend to street level. Jimmy's off work by this hour, and the friendly night doorman nods as we make our way outside. My breath catches when I see Vic leaning against his car.