Part 45: the rescuers

Third Person POV:

The next day was spent catching dragons for the gang. Well, not so much catching as befriending, although some dragons were really tough.
For Y/N, it was spent dreading her last moments on earth on a trapper boat. She wondered if she'd ever see everyone else again.

Y/N POV:
The sky turns gray and booming thunder of Thor can be heard a distance away. I stand up as the trappers take their posts. One of them stop at my cage.
-Well missy, looks like you're gonna experience a storm at sea for the first time, he chuckles and smiles evilly. My heart beats loudly as I sit myself down in a corner and hold onto the bars tightly as the ocean waves pick up height and speed.
-Prepare yourself boys! It's gonna be a bumpy ride! A trapper yells as harsh water drops pierce my skin.

Eret's POV:
-C'mon guys, just a few left! Hiccup encourages us as we all almost fall asleep as we fly to the last place to pick up the last 6 dragons. I sigh in exhaustion and look ahead.
-Uhm Hiccup? I ask and point at the dark clouds coming our way.
-Do you know what gang? I think we'll take a break, c'mon! Hiccup encourages and we all turn around. As the thunder shake in the background, I think of Y/N as I know that the boat she's on is deep into that storm.
-We'll go get her first thing tomorrow, Hiccup announces as the wind picks up.
-But we're still missing 6 dragons? Fishlegs protests.
-If we huddle up they won't be able to count, they're dragontrappers not mathematicians, I explain.
-Alright, first thing tomorrow. I say we leave at dawn, Snotlout says.
-It's a plan, Hiccup agrees. Then we all look up as small, harsh droplets of water hits our skin.

The next day, Y/N POV:
I wake up, all groggy from last nights storm. The hunters walk around tiredly, still trying to do their jobs, even though they were up all night to keep the ship on the surface. I hear a whimper next to me and turn my head to the right. In the cage next to me was a dragon, and it was very frightened. I lean towards it.
-Hello, I whisper. It looks at me.
-Hi, I acknowledge it and put my hand up. It whimpers slightly and I lean away a bit.
-Sorry... I didn't mean to scare you, I say and I can see it's frantic breathing.
-You don't like the water I see, I say.
-It's ok, I continue and put my hand through the bars of our cages. It looks at me before slowly, slowly putting their head in my hand.
-Hello there beauty, I say as I pet them carefully on the head.
-It's ok, I will save you, I whisper as two guards pass by me, wondering looks on their faces. The dragon purrs and cuddles up to me by the bars. I smile, but suddenly see all dragons in the cages surrounding me looking at me curiously. So I sit up on my knees and pet the two dragons closest to me and they purr just like the first one did.
-It's going to be alright guys... we'll be saved, I smile to them.

After a while, the hunters open my cage and grab me.
-Wha- hey! I yell at them, the dragons in the cages next to me, that I befriended starts hissing and roaring at them. The hunters tie my hands together and leads me through the rows and rows of cages, towards a plank.
-So princess, since your cavalry isn't here yet with the dragons, I will send you out on the plank. Hopefully you won't drown before they can save you, the main hunter grins evilly at me and I spit in his face.
-Don't you worry... they'll be here, I say. The hunter growls and harshly pushes me onto the floor. The dragons from before are roaring over the cages, making hunters trying to shut them up by banging their weapons onto the steel prisons. Just please let them be here soon...

Third person POV:
-C'mon guys, we don't have a lot of time to loose! Hiccup ushers the dragon riders and dragons together so that they form a big flock. Eret is sweating from nervousness and Snotlout is clenching his jaw so tight, he probably will get a headache later. As they get closer to the ship, they see a familiar figure standing on the plank.
-Look, it's Y/N! Tuffnutt points to her.
Y/N starts smiling as she sees people riding dragons.

Y/N POV:
-Well look who finally decided to turn up, the leader says and the crew of hunters laugh. My smile falters a bit.
-You got the dragons? The leader asks again.
-We got them all. Now release her, Hiccup demands. The crew looks around.
-No. We want the dragons first, the leader says. I see how Hiccup leans down to toothless, who roars at the dragons behind him. They all move to sit on the cages and the ship. I turn to see all the caged dragons looking curiously at the new dragons. I look at Snotlout... then at Eret. They both look like they were ready to cut this mans head off.

-Now hand her over! Snotlout shouts.
-Hmmmm... no. I think she belongs to the fish now, the leader says and he pushes me over the edge of the plank. I yell as I struggle with my tied hands. I then hear toothless snarl at the dragons... but I was too close to the water, unless Hiccup was one step ahead and got a dragon that lives under water....
But suddenly I get swooped from my fall into someone's arms. As we begin climbing in altitude I look to my savior, and I smile.
-Eret, I breathe out in comfort.
-Hi love, he says and begins untying my hands. I immediately grab his face and kiss him straight on the lips in a hungry kiss. When I let him go he looks dazed at me.
-I've missed you too, he says airily and I smile at him.

I rub my wrists as I finally look around. The dragons had started burning the boat, the gang has released all captured dragons and the hunters were screaming as they jump into the freezing water.
-Y/N! Are you ok? Astrid asks as she flies next to us.
-I have been better, I answer truthfully. Then I see a familiar dragon.
-d/n! I yell at the dragon. They roar back and flies closer to Skullcrusher. I carefully hop from one dragon to the other. I wrap my arms around my dragon.
-Oh how I've missed you... I sigh. We all gather around, the newly released dragons are all behind Toothless... well except for the three I became friends with on the boat. They immediately flew to me and started cuddling me... at the same time.... until d/n had had enough and roars at them to stay back, which they did. They backed off but stayed close enough... I felt like I had the coolest entourage behind me.

-We're so glad you're alive! Fishlegs says. I smile at him, but look to Snotlout, who is watching his hands in shame. I fly towards him.
-Hi Snotty, I say and hug him. He immediately hugs back, really hard. He starts full on sobbing on my shoulder. I pet his hair lightly and hold him close.
-Don't ever sacrifice yourself like that again, he cries. I laugh airily.
-Don't worry, I doubt there will ever be an "again", I say and let go, but he holds on. So I smile and hug back once again.
-I'm sorry... this is all my fault, I-.... I wish I could've saved you, Snotlout whispers into my shoulder.
-It's ok Snotlout... I'm right here, it's ok, I say and he finally parts from the embrace. I grab his hand and hold it tightly.
-Mom and dad was so worried about you... Eret too, Snotlout says.
-I would've thought nothing less... I say and smile sadly.
-Now let's go home, I say and Snotlout nods frantically.

-But what about all of these dragons? Fishlegs ask. We all look at the large amount of dragons around us.
-Um, yeah Hiccup, what's the plan here exactly? I ask as I turn towards him.
-Honestly I didn't think we'd get this far... Hiccup answers honestly.
-I guess we have to bring them home to Berk until we can find them a safe place to stay, Hiccup says.
-Alright. As long as we do find them a safe place to stay, I say. Hiccup immediately nods.

As we fly home, Snotlout, Eret and the three rescue dragons fly close to me. I understand why, this had been a traumatic experience for all of us. But we said nothing. No words were exchanged, only silence. It was nice but it was freaking me out a little bit... but I guess they just wanted to have me close after I had been gone. I look at Snotlout, who's smiling at me. He hasn't smiled like that in a long while. I smile back. Then I look to my other side, where Eret was. But he was already looking at me and smiles as we make eye contact.
-I'm glad you're back. Nothing was the same without you, he says and grabs my hand. I rub my thumb over the back of his hand.
-Nothing was the same without you guys either, I say and he kisses my hand lightly, before letting it go as we spot Berk in the distance.

Finally.
-I'm home....