Snowflakes

Lucy

My boots sunk into the snow, creating a rather satisfying crunch as I leaned my weight into it and took another step. The trip to my destination seemed to be taking longer than usual in such a cold environment. The frigid night nipped at my gloveless hands as I clenched them in a vain attempt to warm them. If only I had owned a car... then I wouldn't be stuck walking like usual. Then again, I was much too poor to afford that. Work was hard to find recently.

I opened my mouth momentarily, allowing a gentle puff of breath to pillow up and tumble out of existence within seconds. A gentle smile crossed my lips as I raised my hand to pull my scarf further up my face as my destination came into view. I supposed it didn't matter too much anyway... having to walk... I complained constantly about it, but it gave me time to think... time to collect my thoughts.

Dim orange lights protruded from in between the old wooden framings. Though in the void of the night, their gentle glow resulted in me squinting my eyes. They seemed so much brighter out here. The old wood was dark and recently cleaned, though you wouldn't be able to tell by just looking at it. I let a soft laugh escape my lips. No matter how much they tried to clean up the old place, it always looked the same. Old and decrepit: Nostalgic.

That was part of the old place's charm though, no matter what, it always stayed the same. Little things may shift and change here and there, but it had been there for years... and for years it would stay. A comforting thought.

Tightening my grip on my brown satchel, I came to a halt in front of the door. Hesitating for a moment, I allowed my hand to hover above the handle. Why? ...I wasn't entirely sure.

Surely it was nothing.

Pushing my unease away, I latched my hand onto the handle. A sharp yelp escaped my lips as a painful shock bolted up my arm. Again. "Damn thing," I growled, wrenching the door open a little more angrily than originally intended.

Immediately, as I stomped in, a familiar laughter filled my ears and I perked up a bit, glancing to the source.

"Did it shock you again?" They teased as my eyes narrowed and I huffed, stalking over to my usual spot in the cafe; slung the satchel off my shoulder  and onto the table. I plopped down into my seat and placed my hand on my cheek, glaring at the person who had laughed at me.

"If it electrocuted you everyday, you'd be a little pissy too, Mira," I grumbled as she giggled, closing her eyes momentarily. I knew what she was thinking almost immediately, 'Well maybe if you weren't here everyday—' Her opinion was invalid.

Glancing up at her once more, I narrowed my eyes for a moment. Her pristine white hair was pulled up into a messy ponytail and her outfit was a typical cafe attire. Simple worked on her so well. I couldn't help but be jealous.

I stood up and stretched, making my way over her, my hands already on my wallet. "Can I just have my usual?" I prompted as she giggled once more.

"Oh—right... the one with as many creamers in there as possible... and as much sugar that a human can ingest without dying?" Mira teased as I pursed my lips and set my brow. What? I don't like dark coffee.

Leave me alone.

"Yeah, that one," I replied, instead of arguing with her like usual. Absentmindedly, I pulled out enough cash to pay for it, before heading back to my seat.