Chapter 5: Tournament of Troubles

"Okay team remember today's mock tournament is just for practice. But, even if it is for practice give it your hundred and ten percent shot! Alright? We need to see which schools we should worry about next season. Anyways, go ahead and warm-up." Coach Reed announced.

"You nervous." Ryan nudged Lyrica on the shoulder with his shoulder.

"Nah, not at all." Lyrica replied, "We're going to do great like always anyways." She added.

"Yea, but this time we also have to play singles. Do you think you can handle it?" He asked her.

"Yea..." she said quietly.

- a few days ago at practice -

"Everyone listen up! I'm going to call your names for this weekends tournament to tell you what events you will be playing." The coach said aloud.

"I hope I get girls doubles." Lucia sighs, "I swear if he puts me in singles my legs are going to die." She added.

"C'mon you did well last year didn't you?" Lyrica joked.

"That one game? Literally my legs felt like they were on fire because that girl kept clearing that damn birdie." She whined.

"Hey but you did look kinda funny out there." Ryan laughed.

"Oh your right when she kept running back and forth because the girl kept dropping it afterwards!" Lyrica added and they both laughed together. Lyrica then looked at Lucia who clearly had an angry look on her face, "But! I'm sure your right and you'll be in doubles this year right Ryan?" Lyrica looked at him.

"Y-Yea! Lyrica is right, I'm sure after coach saw your performance out there he won't put you in singles." He agreed.

"Lucia and Keanna will be playing girls doubles." The coach said to them.

"See Lucia!" Lyrica looked at her, but this time Lucia seemed even more upset.

"Your in doubles?" Ryan mentioned to her.

"I know I am...But with Keanna of all people." Lucia shook her head.

"Oh right..." Lyrica remembered.

"What's wrong with Keanna?" Ryan whispered to Lyrica.

"Well..." Lyrica started off, "Keanna kind of has something against Lucia for some reason. She just doesn't like her, but we never knew why. When we did our warm-up run she always bumped into Lucia and never apologized, Lucia even asked to be her partner one time but she declined for no reason too." She explained to him.

"She seems friendly to me?" Ryan was confused.

"Well...That's because your Ryan." Lyrica shrugged. Everyone liked Ryan for some reason. For girls it was mainly for his looks, he was known as the eye candy of the badminton team. The flower within all the bushes in the team. Lots of girls would come to their games just for him. It annoyed Lyrica sometimes since they would get distracting, but there wasn't much she could do about it.

"Lyric and Ryan your playing mixed doubles." The coach said to them.

Lyrica gave a fist bump to Ryan, but then the coach added more to his sentence.

"You two are also going to play singles."

"What!" Lyrica exclaimed.