36

Soft, reedy music filtered through the corridors in the early morning. Curiosity drove Celaena to follow the sound up to the roof.

Enya stood there, a thin wooden instrument like a flute held to her lips; her silvery-gold hair glowing dimly and stray locks fluttered in the breeze.

Approaching as quietly as she could without disturbing the playing, Celaena gazed at the shining sun as it hovered above the mountains. The music swirled around her ears on a phantom wind, lulling her into closing her eyes and swaying gently.

When Enya finished, she didn't move, only lowered the instrument slightly.

Celaena dared clapping.

Enya whirled, eyes wide in shock. They narrowed in annoyance and... embarrassment.

'That was beautiful,' Celaena protested.

Her sister blushed furiously, ducking her head.

'It's very hard not to listen, I mean, you were literally asking for an audience by playing on a rooftop...' She was sent a playful glare in reply, and she backtracked. 'I love music. And the pianoforte.' Celaena nodded at the instrument. 'Care to play for me again sometime?'

'Maybe.'

Celaena took that as a yes.

~

'We'll start small.'

Rowan sat before her on the stone battlements, strands of his long silver hair being teased by the wind. Celaena knelt opposite him, hands stretched out in front of her, just as he'd asked.

'You will feel cold. I want you to focus - focus on channelling warmth into your palms. Burn me back.'

She frowned at him. 'What?' And then his hands were upon hers, enveloping them entirely - and a biting frost clamped round her hand.

Celaena gasped in shock.

'Warmth. Think of warmth.'

Warmth? Try as she might, Celaena couldn't think of anything warm. Anything that made her happy.

The cold was nipping at her wrists now, creeping up her arms.

'What about Sam?' Rowan asked softly.

Sam...

A sneer.

'So you're the new kitty.'

A cold, hostile look.

'I don't care.'

A snarl like a breath of wind.

'I hate you.'

A glare.

A snap.

A growl.

Then kissing.

The cold receded for a moment.

And then the door wide open. She was going to yell, to cry, to scream-

'I'm sorry,' Arobynn whispered.

The cold shot up her arms, freezing her to the heart.

Celaena snapped back into the present, and shook off Rowan with barely more than a seething look, one of hatred and hostility. 'That's enough for today.'

He showed no flicker of emotion, no sign of sympathy. He simply nodded and let her go.

~