chapter 10

By the end of the day I had gotten through most of the boxes and it was already really late. James had left earlier because his shift ended before mine, as a matter of fact almost everyone in the building left. It was probably about four or five of us still here and I was worrying about how I would get home. I knew that buses ran at this hour but I wasn't quite sure how long it would take for one to come. Maybe I would have to get a taxi which wasn't the safest option right now.

I really need to get a car, I cannot believe that I didn't even consider this first "maybe it's because most persons in the city don't have one" the voice in my head stated and i trailed off, they prefer to get around by public transport or just by simply walking.

I took up my stuff and made an effort to fix up my desk before I left. I rolled my eyes when I walked past Vanessa's desk then head straight for the elevator, it begins to close when a hand stops the doors and they retract. The person had rings on their hand and effortlessly stepped into the elevator, oh. I didn't even know she left this late considering we were the first two here this morning.

"It's rude to stare", she side eyed me. "I wasn't staring at you" I said defending myself but she just let out a slight laugh obviously amused at my tone. The elevator ride was quiet and I was thankful, she didn't speak a word to me and neither did I.

Just when we were about to hit the ground floor of the building I heard her say something to me, "how was your date?" she simply muttered and I looked at her. "It was okay" I replied really not knowing how to have a formal.. or any conversation with her.

"Good" she said and stepped out of the elevator once the doors opened leaving me there with yet another unfinished conversation. I watched as the back of her jacket was no longer in sight. I gathered myself together quickly and jogged a bit out unto the sidewalk, I might have to call an uber to make things easier rather than wait by myself at night for the next bus so that is what I did, I took out my phone and called an Uber to bring me home.

I stood on the sidewalk for almost half an hour and with each passing minute the weather dropped another couple degrees. I was freezing my ass off on the street waiting for my uber to show up. The city came alive at night, surely it was busy during the day but that's a hustle kind of busy where everyone is rushing to get to wherever they're going. The kind of busy that happens in the night is more like a congested yet calm scene, no one is rushing everyone is relaxed on their way home or going for a night out.

It's peaceful and bright at night. This would be much more enjoyable at a quieter venue overlooking the city, covered in something warm definitely. I laughed at myself shaking like an obvious twig on the sidewalk trying to rub my hands on my arms to regulate heat, but it only worked for a short time then it was back to human popsicle.

A few more cars passed by before my uber came and I got in. He was a very pleasant gentleman but i'm much smarter than to fall for charm, I had my knife gripped firmly in my hand and my phone was in a good position if I needed to make a quick call. I stayed close to the door behind the driver's seat with my hand on the door handle. 

For most of the ride he didn't speak but when he did it wasn't anything to make me uncomfortable nevertheless my guard was never down not even for a second. "Down this way, thank you" I payed the guy and stepped out of the vehicle, I had him let me out in front of the apartments and walked in the other direction from my apartment until he drove off and only when I was sure he was gone I walked towards by building.

"Hiii I'm home" I greeted a fluffy ball running towards me, I could see that she missed me a lot today and to my surprise the apartment was still intact. The food I left out was half eaten and none was on the floors. "Good job Storm" I played around with her as a sign of me being very proud of her.

My feet hurt so much from all the work I did today. I would have to ease off of standing up so much, even though I find standing and working to be more effective a line has to be drawn at some point before any permanent damage is done. I took my shoes off and rubbed the area of my feet that hurt the most, one I was done I took a shower and threw on a shirt and comfortable panties before crashing in bed.

I called my mother and we had a very brief conversation before she cut the words right from my mouth saying she was very tired and needed her rest to regain her youth. I laughed at her and allowed her to hang up the call then rolled over in bed. Today has been way longer than it needed to be and I am beyond exhausted

Sleep came to me easily, I was sprawled out like a starfish with my phone on the carpet and my head hung over the side. Storm took a liking to my position as she tried to mimic it which I took as laughable mocking even though  I know it wasn't possible for her to mean no harm. I giggled at her position and closed my eyes gently as today's events faded away to nothingness.