chapter 12

After a few more steps she went towards the parking lot and I followed a bit closer this time still keeping my distance, she passed a couple expensive cars and I was starting to wonder which one was hers and how far were we going that she needed to drive.

She stopped at a perfectly vivid grey vehicle with a horse looking crest at the front..I was trying not to go all "small town girl" and drool over something i've never seen before but it was a really perfect and crisp looking car. I wanted to ask her what kind of car it is but my nerves wouldn't allow it, she probably wouldn't answer anyway or at least be a complete bitch to me.

She took out her key and opened the vehicle, I had expected her to just go around to the driver's side and leave me to enter but instead I saw her walk over to the passenger's side and open the door for me. It was like I was frozen trying to process if anything was real, I didn't make her wait long and I entered the vehicle.

She didn't even look at me when I was going in..oh

She closed the door and head over to her side. I played around with the hem of my skirt just waiting for this to all be over and I would be back at the office in my own space. The vehicle started and I reached over to buckle my seatbelt, she did the same and we sat there in complete silence.

I found myself looking at the interior..the inside was a faint grey leather, the seat I was in was extremely comfortable. I glanced at her then at the road and it finally clicked that I had no idea where I was going.

She just might be leading me to my own death and here I was in complete awe over her..Ted Bundy would've loved my naive ass.

"Where're we going?" I asked her faintly, picking at my nails.

"For lunch" she replied sarcastically which just made me want shut up even more. "Where specifically?" I corrected my earlier question and she side eyed me which sent ripples through my stomach.

"Somewhere I go to" was all she said with her clenched jaws. I retracted back into my seat and pulled my phone out scrolling from app to app, I didn't have anything to do on it but hopping from app to app kept me busy and my mind wasn't on the awkward situation I had placed myself in.

What does she even mean by somewhere she goes to? very specific, now i'm even more lost as to where we were headed. The lump in my stomach grew with ease filling the empty space that was yet to be filled. I stared through the window and watched the buildings pass by with people on the sidewalk going about their day.

Everyone had their own little life, we don't know each other but yet still we happen to be apart of each other's environment. It's a crazy thing to think about really.

The buildings grew larger every minute that we drove and I was growing a bit anxious, the swiping through apps trick wasn't being effective anymore and the hovering question of where was she taking me started to present itself once more.

"Are we there yet?" I tried not to sound annoying or nagging in any way, I needed to know where she was taking me so I could at least be at ease a little but she didn't answer and I slouched feeling like a toddler who keeps getting denied.

I saw her reach over and turn the music on, it was connected to her phone i'm assuming. I wasn't paying any attention to what she was doing until I heard a familiar song start playing..I shifted my gaze from outside and focused on the song, there's no way someone like her new this kind of music?

"If its a seven hour flight or a forty-five minute drive" I listened to one of my favorite songs play through the speakers in complete disbelief. I didn't want her to realize that I knew it but at the same time I wanted to sing along at the top of my lungs, I hummed along instead continuing to look through the window.

I looked over at her and saw that she was feeling the music in a way, she was tapping her fingers on the steering wheel and humming along. The bridge was coming up and this was my favorite part of the entire song, humming alone just wouldn't do.

The brief pause before 'that part' was coming to an end and I was contemplating what to do, before any further thought I found myself singing out loud to the song..not too loud but enough for Alex to hear. If this was any other moment I would feel embarrassed but this was a song that deserved more than just silent humming, I needed to feel every word that was penned to paper and sung to absolute perfection, I needed that bit of comfort in this moment even if it came from me embarrassing myself.

I sang it like I did the first time I learnt the lyrics and understood the meaning of the song, I felt the music more than anything and my body moved along to the beat. I bopped my head around and pretended as if I was singing at a concert with my hand curved into the perfect formation to fit a mic. I was in my element and nothing could stop that.

Once the part was over I felt weirdly at peace and slouched back into my seat. I didn't look at Alex but I could tell that she was looking at me, only now did the feeling of slight embarrassment settle it.

"I didn't know you knew it" she commented and I felt my cheeks redden, I didn't know how to answer her especially since every time I tried speaking to her she always left me in silence with unanswered questions and one sided conversations, but I wasn't like her i'm a nice person and I choose to stick to that.

"It's basically one of my favorite songs...from my favorite band actually" I added to last part to bring more clarity to how I knew the song. I could sense a shift in atmosphere when she answered "They're my favorite band too" my jaw was on the floor, this was a huge thing we had in common. Maybe if she wasn't such a vile person towards me we could discuss more music related stuff but until then i'll keep everything to myself.

"No way, what's your favorite song?" I beamed at her and she let out a slight laugh which calmed my excitement. "Knee socks" she replied and I looked at her, I loved that one as well. It was so hard to believe that she listened to Arctic Monkeys and not only did she listen to them but they were also her favorite band, this feels a dream.

After realizing that we actually had something in common she didn't seem like such a harsh and awful person after all, maybe this could work.