chapter 5

i open my eyes to see storm sprawled out across my chest, i gently lift her attempting to not wake her up. she looks like a fluffy dark cloud when she sleeps i will have to think about painting her one of these days, if she stays still that is. i climb out of bed slowly and head to the bathroom, i really have no intention to do myself up today as a matter of fact if it wasn't for my carelessness yesterday i wouldn't have even gotten up out of bed.

the shower doesn't take long to heat up and i carefully wash myself before i turn the tap off and get out. i stand in front of the sink and observe my features in the mirror, i wish i was this confident years ago..well i'm not far from who i was back then but it definitely is an improvement. i run the tap over my toothbrush and add some toothpaste to it. as soon as i am finished in the bathroom i hear tiny footsteps padding on the flooring

"well look who's finally up" i bend down to meet the little pup on the floor, her height is slightly between my ankle and knee which means that she is indeed very tiny. "mommy has some stuff to do today" i tell storm, did i really just call myself her mommy? well i guess i am anyways and it isn't like anyone can hear me.

part of me really doesn't want to leave storm in the apartment by herself but i really don't know if pets are allowed in the building, why do i even care? as i said it should not take long and i will be out in a split second. i get dressed in a sports jersey that i really have no clue about what team is even on it and pull on a pair of tight jeans. i empty out a backpack and put some of the essential things in the front compartment.

if someone came in here and caught me brushing my dog's fur like an actual child they would think i am mad for sure. i finish up grooming storm and she wags her tail at me, i'll take that as her way of saying thank you. i slip on my converse and turn my backpack around so it is resting on my stomach instead of my back, some dog treats were already placed in the pockets along with her leash now for the actual dog.

i gently position her in the backpack and laugh at myself in the mirror for about five minutes, i really do look like a mom with this contraption not that i mind but it does look really weird and unlike me. checking to see if i have everything before i leave isn't anything hard since i have already packed the basic things which proved to be the only thinks that i would need.

now it's time to take the bus once again, hopefully the stares are toned down a bit since she's in the backpack and not clutched tightly to my chest like a newborn. my prayers were answered when little to no one looked at me weird the whole bus ride and storm was more than cooperative, she stayed quiet and only wiggled around a few times. i could tell that she was enjoying the view too much to be bothered by anything else. i really did choose the right dog.

we get off the bus and i ignore the construction men cat calling me, they really are disgustingly persistent with this. i can see why most females hate walking around the city alone, it's men like these that make us feel uncomfortable in just about anything we have on. even the most conservative of females get cat called and it is truly sickening that there isn't much we can do about it but if any one of them comes near me i will literally break their nose and that's that. perverted scums.

fastening my pace i reach the doors that made a fool of me yesterday, i am sure to pull the doors this time around and unlike last time they open with ease. there doesn't seem to be anyone in the lobby who has a problem with storm so far, "see, no problem" i whisper to her and she looks around the building clearly fascinated by the people walking around along with the decor.

not wanting to share the elevator with anyone i eagerly wait for the door to open before anyone else joins me in waiting. when the doors finally open i rush in pressing the number 19 as fast as i could, things seem to be looking up for me for the first time since i have moved here hopefully my luck doesn't run out too fast.