Chapter 23

I was still a bit choked up, what even just happened? I saw Alex Conner having casual conversation with my mother? now this feels even more like a dream than before.

"You can't cook?" Alex asked feeding into my embarrassment.

"No" I replied softly

"Cool, I'll come by this weekend and teach you" she said it so calmly as if we were actually friends.

"Sure I guess"

I groaned in slight pain, A headache had developed as a result of today's series of events. The water didn't work and to make things worse it felt like I was coming down with something, my eyes were a bit watery and I felt stuffed. Alex seemed to notice this, "You look sick" she said and I told her that I wasn't feeling the best.

"So-, oh" She stopped what she was going to originally say and held my hand then led me back to the couch. "You're burning up" she whispered.
"But i'm cold" I muttered back, I asked if she could get me blankets from the bedroom and when she emerged again she also had two pillows. Lex set them down, one at my head and one on my lap for me to hold. She wrapped the blanket around me and tucked it at the sides. She leaned over me and the thought that she would be a great mother crossed my mind in that moment and for the first time I didn't see her as a vile person but as someone who was truly caring and really soft with her touch, maybe a bit shy and didn't know how to properly show affection.

"Where are you going?" I asked when she moved, maybe she's going home? I get that she has no reason to stay but I would actually be hurt if she left me especially now. She looked back and smiled at me, "I'm getting comfortable" and so she did. She loosened her belt slowly and took it off in front of me, my jaw fell to the floor but she wasn't done yet. She then loosened her tie and pulled it over her head throwing it on the couch staring directly into my eyes. She was doing this on purpose. Her hands moved to the top of her shirt where she unbuttoned the first three top bottoms slightly exposing her chest. My eyes were glued to her, she was effortlessly attractive and she knew this, she's playing with me..taunting me even.

"Do you have pasta?" She asked rolling up her sleeves, I growled with slight irritation. Pasta? she's going to cook? "Uh yeah in the cabinet right there" I instructed and she followed my finger to the cabinet. She opened the fridge and took some stuff out including a bag of cheese that I would eat as a snack occasionally.

I wanted to help or at least see what she was doing so I got up from the couch with the blanket still wrapped around me and waddled to the kitchen. She was preparing what she was going to use, washing tomatoes and rinsing off knives. I'm pretty sure she heard me approaching and it was confirmed when she looked up from the sink and our eyes met. "Do me a favor amore, put on some music please?" She asked soothingly as if she was preparing to be in her element, I did as told and waddled back over to the tv my heart fluttering from the slight language change.

I didn't know what to put on so I settled on something that we bonded on a while back.

I wanna be yours by arctic monkeys played through the speakers, I looked back to see if she recognized it and she did. She looked up at me with a slight smile.
I dropped the blanket on the couch and decided to dance along to the song. "maybe I just wanna be yours I wanna be yours I wanna be youuurs" I sang along and continued dancing in a mirror that was perched up in the corner when I saw Alex move from the kitchen and stand behind me. She held my hand and placed her other hand on my hip and we stayed there together moving with the music, it seems like almost every time we touch it's something cinematic.

I felt like I was on air dancing with her, she was so smooth and it felt so natural. I looked up at her and she looked down at me, I felt my heartbeat fasten it's pace and my knees weakened when she looked in my eyes. It's a miracle that I'm not gasping for air now. I placed my head on her shoulder and she moved both of us, slightly turning with me in complete sync with the music. This was unbelievable, every part of this yet still I loved every moment holding on to it like it was my last. In reality she was so unpredictable that I never know what to expect from her, she always left me feening for more.

She kept swaying me to the music until it finished and another song rolled over then she returned to the kitchen leaving me in complete awe. I grabbed my blanket and retired to the couch still trying to process everything. My phone buzzed pulling me out of my daydream-like situation and I looked over to see who it was, it was James.

"i'm really sorry for leaving you :/."
I read the message over and over again trying to come up with a suitable answer then I just decided to send a simple "It's okay", I understood why he left me but it just wasn't the best time..I don't want to seem like a selfish person either and say that he's supposed to do everything for me because he isn't obligated to me in any way. James replied and I turned my phone off without answering, I don't need any more strong emotions than what I'm already dealing with.

Alex was still in the kitchen and I didn't have anything to do, I picked at my nails and kept fidgeting. Maybe I should see what James replied.

"Aria and I got home safely" was all he said, "That's nice." I replied still staring at the screen. I wasn't mad at him for leaving me..just a bit down at the whole situation. Why am I even still dwelling on this?? there's fucking Alex Conner in my apartment right now making me dinner, we danced together like people who actually get along..I felt literal sparks and I'm concerned about James not giving me a ride??.  I felt my headache sharpen at the serge of emotion and I winced.

"Hey, are you okay?" Alex quickly set down two plates of pasta and turned towards me.  "I'm fine" I tried brushing her off.

"No you're not" she insisted and I just admitted to the pulsating headache. She offered to get me painkillers and a glass of water, I told her where I kept my pills and she went straight for them. "Here, take two" she handed me the pills and a glass of water, "thank you"

I downed everything and she grabbed a seat on the carpet in front of me with her plate. I grabbed mine, put on a Disney movie for us to watch and started eating.

"Oh come on, dude missed his shot to kiss her" whined a slouched up Alex. I laughed and nudged her with my leg. "What?..I would've kissed her" she shrugged.

"of course you would" I laughed and she brushed me off making me laugh harder.

I liked this, no hiding behind a curtain, no acting like a whole tough guy..just raw and real Alex. Or at least I hope.