"Well. . . ."

Stopping what she was doing, Ruth walked backwards and poked her head out the pantry. "Say what now? What 'well' mean?"

Toby smiled, pulling out his wallet and pulling out the nearly folded ultrasound image and passed it to his mother. He watched her stare it and a smile stretch on her lips.

"Wow. . ." Ruth eyes locked on ultrasound, "Another one. This with that Ishanti girl?"

"Na' ian' fucked wit ha' in a few weeks." he leaned back on the counter, "That's wit Nene."

Ruth giggles softly. "I should've known chile. How does she feel about it?"

Toby blew out air as he accepted the ultrasound back. "Ion' kno'. She ain't really have no reaction to it two days ago. She gave me the ultrasound and told me I deserve it mo'."

"That's. . . odd." Ruth commented, as she proceeds to put away the grocery. "But she did say she didn't want any and Lotus is just coming into her life, building a relationship. She's keeping it right?"

"We a team—me, ha', and Lotus. We all agreed on no termination."

"There's nothing worse than a unhappy pregnant woman." Ruth stated, staring in the eyes of her son. "Voting or not, forcing a woman to keep a baby makes it even worse."

Toby frowned instantly. "I'm not forcin' ha' to do nothin'."

"I'm not saying you are, Toby. But, if she's unhappy with being pregnant or really didn't want anymore children, you can't make her be happy with it. Depression is serious; especially for pregnant women."

"She gon' be straight." He crossed his arms, "She just had a different upbringin' and learnin'. I checks on her er'day."

"Well, as long as it's not with Ishanti."

Toby's eyebrow raised as a chuckle released. "I thought you liked her?"

"I do. She's a beautiful woman and I like what she does pertaining to working at the center. But for you, no. I'm glad she's been there for you but it start feeling like desperation to win you or something and for me to love her."

"She knew bout Anicia. . ."

"Ohhh, okay," Ruth nodded. "Now that makes a lot more sense. It's been a competition. Was any of what she done genuine?"

Toby shrugged remissly. "Ion' really care to kno'. I care bout ha' like a care bout a homie. But me and ha' was only fuckin' from the beginnin'. If it wasn't genuine; I got som' out of it—that gushy gush."

"Boy. . ." Ruth chuckled, hitting his arm. "You sumn else."

"I'm finna bounce tho'," he kissed his mother on the forehead. "Call up yo' 'friend' and do whatever it was y'all was finna do."