◖ 44 ◗

𝐀𝐔𝐆𝐔𝐒𝐓  ❷ ⓿ ❷ ❷

𝐀𝐔𝐆𝐔𝐒𝐓 ❷ ⓿ ❷ ❷

The car door shutting outside woke Toby from laying on the couch of mother's house with his Canali suit still on and the pricey dress shoes. He grunts quietly as he raised upright and checking the time on the Versace Palazzo Empire watch on his right wrist to it going on five in the evening.

He overheard the snickering coming through the front door and noticed one deeper than the other. It makes him rise from the couch and walked forward to the foyer and his unexpected appearance started his mother.

Ruth palms her chest. "What in the hell Toby? How did you get in?"

Toby's gaze fell on the casually dressed man behind her, with a golden tan skin tone and his inky black hair combed straight back and the curls laid naturally on the back of his neck. "Who yo' friend, T-Lady?"

"Oh. . ." Ruth glances at her 'friend', letting out a nervous chuckle. "Toby this is a friend of mine, Jorge. . Jorge, this is my eldest son, Toby. He was actually just helping me with this grocery bag. He was just leaving."

Jorge stared at her in confusion for a second before he read her eyes and nodded. "Right," he handed over the paper grocery bag to Toby. "It was nice meeting you."

"You, too, G." Toby replied. He watched the hispanic descent male leave then chuckled. "You ain't have to act like yo' lil friend wasn't stayin'."

Ruth sucks her teeth, footing towards the kitchen. "Shut up boy. Why you over here?"

"I was already on this side of town wit Sunni wedding bein' out hea'." he explained, sitting the grocery bag on the counter.

"That was today. How was it?"

"It was real coo'. Sunni in love and shit." He chuckles mildly, "He a good ass dude to her tho'. Tae took the boys and Lotus out to eat wit his fam. I came hea' and fell asleep."

"Whaaaat. . . ." Ruth was appalled. "You never turn down a meal. You sick boy?"

Ruth checking his forehead makes him chuckle and say, "Ain't nobody sick. I'm just. . . shit, tired."

"You been tired a lot." Ruth pointed out as she entered the walk-in pantry, "I got another grand-baby on the way or something?"