Chapter 42.

When was the last time you actually paid attention to his hand before?

Not when he wrapped it around yours whenever he had the chance sitting next to you, or several times when you watched him signed documents at his working desk in his study room while you sat in front of him.

Or the moment when you sat next to him in front of the piano in the lounge room, while his fingers danced smoothly on the black and white keys, playing several classic love tunes for you.

Or when you observed him from the mirror, clasping the necklace around your neck, before laying gentle kisses that sent the tingling pleasure down your spine, a habit that he always did whenever he gave you a new set of jewelry.

No, back then, so many times you were too busy drowning yourself in pity party, thinking about his obsession over you, too absorbed with the resentment you often felt about him.

Only now you were finally staring at the hands of the man that filled your memory, that was now laying down unconciously in front of you.

His fingers were slender and long, looked almost feminine, although visibly bigger than yours.
There were lines of bluish purple veins scattered on his arm, some streaks were vaguely noticeable, contrasting the fair skin.
You could imagine him flexing his arm, the same one he used to hold or pin you to the bed.

Watching him right now, he was like sleeping normally, no sign of him being in a coma.
His physique in general didn't really show the difference, you still could see the faint shadow of his toned chest under the hospital uniform.
Except of course, the dismal color of his complexion, and the sharper curvature of his cheekbone and jaw, sign of him losing some weight.

Holding his hand, you sat next to him, observing his face.

The cold and sometimes arrogant expression of him, the powerful aura that was always emanated around him, replaced with one that looked serene, the absence of frown from his brows that you rarely saw on him.

"You know,...I never imagine to finally be able to talk to you like this.
I...I have wanted to, ...it's just... the chance was never really there."

You carresed his fingers, the smooth skin felt warm, and it calmed you a bit, letting you knew that he was still alive and breathing.

"I... I wanted to tell you so many things,...but.... seemed like the time was never right.
And I was... in doubt, I guess."

You tried to blink back the tears in your eyes, but it failed, as the clear droplets finally fell on the white sheet, leaving several spots of darkened stain.

There was a short pause when you tried to gather your words in your scattered mind.

"Before I go, I just want to tell you that...I understand why you did what you did.
Although ....I can't say it's easy for me to accept."