The Surface

Tinas Journal

12/9/72

Dear Reader,

It's Tina Greyblood. A few months ago I found out I was in fact a Purple, but after my godmother died, I decided to never let down the Greyblood legacy. I needed to keep some sort of bond with the person who had been there for me even when I didn't realize it: Tanner.
December of 2072, about three months after the world changed. We were recognized across the nation, not for being the bad guys, but as the group who had defeated the virus and all evil. With the help from the society under Zinc's supervision, we scavenged through Dr. Francisco's remaining chemicals and invented the cure. Zinc was soon to be appointed as one of the engineers, and has been working with us ever since. He says he's glad he got to avenge his sister.
Right now, I'm writing this in my own room back at the base. Vice President Qiang Lingdao has put in the service needed to rebuild the White House and capital building. He personally thanked me and offered our company eight million dollars for all we've done. I politely declined, and said to put it towards charities in need.
     This doesn't mean the world isn't filled with violence. The country still has crime. Our system still has the same old background, same weapons, same missions. But our priorities are straight. After this mission, I've learned a lot. It taught me to work well under life or death situations that I could not control, I learned to trust my intuition, and most importantly-

*CRASH*

Tina stopped writing as a familiar Mason Meiyo barged into her office space.

"GUESS WHAT?!" he said with pure excitement.

Tina quickly closed her journal and glanced at a golden badge placed neatly on the agents suit.
"Is that- did you-?" she said, breaking into a smile.

"I GOT THE CHIEF AGENT POSITION BABY!" Meiyo jumped up and down a few times and then quickly composed himself. "Refer to me as Chief Meiyo from now on."

Tina furrowed her eyebrows. 

Before she could say no, Mason laughed. "I'm kidding. It's still the same me, but I feel powerful. I can order the other agents where to go and what to do! And I train them. I think it's sooo neat!" He looked down at Tina's journal closed in her hands. He looked back up at her and chuckled. "I won't ask."

*

It was 6 am the next morning when the duo got a summon to the main office where the boss worked. They were written up a note and were told to read it immediately. Tina headed back towards her room with Mason following closely behind.

"Sooo, what's this new mission about?" he asked.

Tina held the note up to a lamp and read aloud the numbered list under the main title:

Mission 813: The Power Beneath the Tide
1. Must have at least one agent with you
2. Venture onto the beaches of California. In Santa Monica, you will find a submarine stationed a few miles from the pier
3. Head northeast until you find an underwater maze. In the center, is an ancient artifact. Rumors have it that there is a new power, something stronger than shapeshifting technology
4. Retrieve the artifact and bring it back to the base within two weeks, before Christmas Day.
5. Have the lab run tests once the artifact has arrived

Note: Bring extra oxygen tanks and gear. It's cold and you need wet suits that protect you from freezing to death.

-Michelle R. Power

Tina stuffed the note into her front pocket and looked up at Mason. He thought for a moment.

"Well," he said, "we can start up ol' Obsidian and head towards Cali."