Ch9: Is This What You Want

"Where are the hybrids?" Seokjin asks, handing over his gun to Taehyung.

"In the next room," Taehyung replies, glancing at Yoongi in the corner who's keeping his gaze anywhere but on the dead bodies on the floor.

"What do we do with the bodies?" Taehyung asks, referring to the doctors, "Bury them?"

"Bury?" Seokjin says over his shoulder, "They don't deserve a burial. Burn them in the courtyard. We're setting this place on fire after rescuing the hybrids anyway."

"Arson?" Taehyung says, furrowing his eyebrows, "You said nothing about setting this place on fire when we planned it."

"Change of plan," Seokjin replies, turning around and walking towards the door.

"Seokjin," Taehyung says, his voice strict, "It's not that I don't agree, it's that you can't take decision without informing me first."

"Why? Are you the boss here?"

"The boss? What the hell are you talking about? There's no boss here," Taehyung says through gritted teeth, "We're all in this together."

"Taehyung," Seokjin says, pausing to sigh, "You can't lead an army without having a commander, can you?"

"We planned all of this. You and me," Taehyung argues, "Not just you. So get your head out of your ass and let's just get this over with."

And with that, he walks out of the room, and Seokjin doesn't reply, only follows him silently to the other room where the hybrids are.

When they enter, some of the hybrids shiver at the sight of the blood-covered Taehyung with a gun in his hand. Seokjin looks around, noticing how most are children.

"We're not going to harm you," Seokjin says with a gentle smile, "We're here to help. We're just like you, see?" He points at his wolf ears. "I know you must be scared and tired. We'll take you somewhere safe and take care of you. You don't have to be scared anymore. We'll make sure of that. And when it's all over, you'll never have to suffer again."

"The prison," Seokjin adds, directing his words to Taehyung, "Take them there."

"Why not let them stay here?" Taehyung says, "Sure, the prison is big, but we can make use ofㅡ"

"Taehyung," Seokjin cuts him off, "This place. I want it burnt to ashes more than anything."

"Fine," Taehyung replies, seeing there's no point in arguing anymore. He turns around to walk out but stops in his tracks when a thought crosses his mind.

"I've been meaning to ask you," Taehyung says, looking at Seokjin, "Hanseol. What did you do about her?"

"Ah, she's safe."

"Where?"

"Why do you want to know?" Seokjin asks.

"Actually," He adds quickly before Taehyung replies, "I think I know why. You care about her, don't you?"

"I don't know what you're throwing at butㅡ"

"You know exactly what I mean," Seokjin interrupts, "And that is why I'm not telling you where she is."

"Do you think... I would betray you for her?" Taehyung scoffs, "You think I would give up on this, everything I've ever wanted, for her? You must be out of your mind."

"You've been having second thoughts, don't tell me you haven't," Seokjin says, "I'm afraid, Taehyung, I don't trust you as much as I did once before. And it's because of her."

Taehyung clenches his jaw, eyes shooting daggers at Seokjin who doesn't look back at him, and keeps his eyes on the children instead.

Taking in a deep breath so he doesn't do something he'll regret later, Taehyung walks out of the room and into the courtyard to have some fresh air, but all he meets is the sight of the burning bodies and the smell of gasoline and smoke choking up his lungs.

He can't have second thoughts. He shouldn't have them. Because he's living his dream right now, this is everything he's ever wanted. To brutally kill? A small voice in his head asks him, everything you've ever wanted is to kill and torture and break families apart?

Taehyung pushes the thought away, because he knows the answer to the question, and if he answers it, he wouldn't be able to do this anymore. And he wants to do it, even if his instincts tell him not to.

The small voice replies to its question anyway, and the words linger in Taehyung's head for a while. All you've ever wanted was to be accepted for who you are. This- the flames rise- is not what you want.

---

A/N: I had this classmate (let's call her S) who'd always text me asking for help in hw and if I didn't reply within 5 minutes, she would call and cancel so I reply. And she would call and cancel at least 5 times in a row so I answer as quickly as possible. I would be playing games or in a call or writing a chapter and her name would keep on popping up in my screen interrupting whatever I'm doing and it was the most annoying thing ever.

I told her not to do that again and instead she started spamming me with texts. 47 texts in a minute so I would tell her the answer to question 10.b. Thankfully she moved schools and is now taking a different curriculum than mine.

Don't be like S. Nobody likes S. S has no friends for a reason.