Ch6: Somewhere Safe

I walk slowly, Seokjin walking beside me down the hallway until we reach the elevator. We step inside, and stand in silence for the next few seconds as I wrack my brain for a plan out of this.

Do I try to run away? He'll catch me anyway; I'm not a fast runner. I don't even have the knife with me. I had no choice but to leave it when I found out he knows I had it. The elevator doors open with a ding and we step outside, making our way out of the building and to a black van parked by the pavement.

He opens the shotgun door for me, and I ride the car, letting out a breath I didn't know I was holding. Seokjin gets in the driver seat and starts the car, motioning for me to put my seat belt on. I carefully grab it, only noticing now how much my hands are shaking.

"Where are you taking me?" I ask once the car starts moving.

"Somewhere safe," He says calmly, his eyes on the road, "It's only a matter of days before these streets are filled with blood. We don't want you to get hurt, do we?"

I take in a shaky breath. "Why? Why are you trying to keep me safe?"

He smiles, glancing at me for a second then looking back ahead. "Because we're friends before anything, Seol."

I look out of the window and watch the people on the streets. There are people in suits rushing to business, students in uniforms walking back from school, and there's a family or two at the ice cream parlour. There are couples in the park and friends by the mall. And none of these people know what's coming for them. Who knows who they might lose in a few days? A mother, a father, a sibling, a child, a dear friend, a wife or a husband?

"There are a lot of good people in this word," I say, my eyes still on the people outside, "A lot of innocent ones. They would never ever hurt you."

"We were innocent," Seokjin replies, "We would never ever hurt you, either."

I shake my head. "What you want isn't only revenge. It's inhumane. It's cruel. Instead of hurtㅡ"

"Instead of hurting innocent people, you want me to peacefully protest to get my rights?" He cuts me off, his voice now a little harsher, "You don't understand. People don't listen. They never do unless you show them the consequences of not listening. Unless they live those consequences. No one will ever understand you until they've been in your shoes."

"And that's what you'll do?" I say, "You'll put people in the shoes you once worㅡ

"Still wearingㅡ

"You're free now," I cut him off, "I'm not downgrading what you've been through and I know it was horrible. And I know that there are millions out there still living so horribly but this is not the way to change the world! The people out thereㅡ

"The people out there don't care!" He snaps, his grip tightening on the steering wheel till his knuckles turn white, "The people out there hurt me and my family and my friends and took away my everything! And they're hurting another million of my kind and their family and their friends and their everything! This world is damaged beyond repair! And I won't stop until I make sure thatㅡ"

"And what about you?!" I yell, "You say you hate them but you're just like them, Seokjin! You're going to hurt me and my family and my friends and my everything, aren't you?!"

"And a million others," I add, "And their everything. Why are you pretending to be the good guy here when you're no different?"

Seokjin doesn't reply. I see the way his jaw clenches, the way his fingers start turning red from how tightly he's gripping the wheel, the way his pupils narrow and his wolf ears stand on edge. He lets out a breath before speaking.

"Don't you dare," He says through gritted teeth, "Don't you ever dare compare me to those monsters."

I glare at him then look out of the window again, my hands clenching the fabric of my sweatpants. The drive feels like forever, and soon enough, we slow down when we reach a tall fence in a remote area.

---

A/N: I know, its a small chapter and practically nothing happened, but originally this was one chapter that I had to split to two as it was too long. Excuse the shitty writing I didn't edit it yet. I be feeding you crumbs I'm so sorry 💀