Ch16: The Metal Collar, Again

Soobin sighs for the nth time, walking down the hallway and back to his original spot just like he has been for the past three hours. Earlier, Seokjin had told him to guard Hanseol's cell while he's gone to run some errands. Seokjin had also specifically mentioned to not let Taehyung in although it is unlikely he will show up for he does not even know Seol is in the prison.

But as Soobin's luck has it, Taehyung suddenly shows up at the end of the hallway, and they lock eyes for a few seconds before Taehyung speaks up.

"Soobin," He says calmly, "What are you doing here?"

Soobin gulps. "Nothing. Just strolling around."

Taehyung's eyes fall on the cell behind the boy, then back to him. There's no way Soobin is just "strolling around", Taehyung thinks. He's hiding something. Someone.

"Why are you standing in front of that door?" Taehyung asks, pointing at the cell.

Soobin takes a few steps away from the door, his fists clenched. "Why are you here?"

"She's in there, isn't she?"

The question hangs in the air as Soobin falls silent, the tension around him becoming almost tangible as Taehyung's glowering eyes bore into him. If looks could kill, Soobin would be dead the moment Taehyung laid eyes on him.

Soobin can't lie; both he and Taehyung know too well that Taehyung wasn't asking whether she's in there or not. He already knows.

"How did you find out?" Soobin finally asks, his hand reaching to the gun tucked in his belt.

"Don't do it," Taehyung says, nodding towards the gun, "You know you can't."

Soobin ignores him and whips the gun out, pointing it at him with trembling hands. Taehyung takes a step forward, then another, closing the distance between him and the boy.

"Don't move!" Soobin yells, "I'll shoot you if I have to."

Taehyung continues walking anyway, his steps confident and steady.

"I said stop!"

Taehyung stops right in front of Soobin before carefully reaching out and taking the gun from his shivering grip.

"You would've never done it, Soobin," Taehyung says, motioning with the gun, "You're too much of a coward. Now, give me the keys."

"Only Seokjin has the keㅡ"

"Don't make me repeat myself," Taehyung says under gritted teeth, bringing his face closer to the boy's, "The keys. Now."

Soobin doesn't move, his breaths growing heavier as sweat drips down his temple, his hands still shaking.

"Didn't you hear what I said?"

"He'll kill me," Soobin mumbles under his breath, his eyes brimming with tears as he finally musters up the courage to look Taehyung in the eye, "If I let you take her, he'll kill me."

"If you knew he would kill you for doing something as minor as this, then you shouldn't have joined him in the first place."

"Talk for yourself. You joined him, too. And he'll kill you, too."

"See, Soobin, here's the difference between you and me: Seokjin can kill you, and he will. But he can't kill me, and even if he can, he won't."

"If I give you the keys," Soobin pauses, "Will you protect me from him?"

Taehyung stays silent for a few seconds before speaking up.

"No," He says bluntly, "I don't have to make a deal with you to take the keys. I can take this gun." He holds it up. "And empty it in your guts. And then I'll take the keys anyway. So don't make me do it."

"You're just as bad as he is," Soobin hisses, "How many did you kill? Huh? You're trying to play hero now? Well, guess what? The damage's already been done. There's blood on your hands, Taehyung. Blood of innocent people."

"You want the damn key?" He adds, reaching into his pocket and pulling out a silver key, shoving it into Taehyung's chest, "Take it. You fucking hypocrite."

Taehyung doesn't reply whatsoever and takes the key, walking towards the metal door. He puts the key in and turns it. Click. His heart fluttering in anticipation, he pushes the door open and his eyes widen in disbelief.

The cell is cold, so cold it sends a shiver down Taehyung's spine. Seol lays on the ground, a thin white dress hugging her body. She looks up from under her dark locks that are covering her face. Her eyes flash with recognition but she stays silent as she glances at the gun in Taehyung's hand.

Taehyung's heart heats up in rage at the sight of her trembling body, her frail form and pale face, and most importantly, the heavy electric metal collar around her neck.

---

A/N: