12 | Perfect Opportunity

Start from the beginning

Nope.

"Do you know why?"

"A threat," Harry said.

"A threat?" Jack's entire posture changed. "Potter, is the President in danger?"

"Fyrefox is a thief," Harry reminded him. "He's only interested in material items. He not interested in people. The President is safe. He's got his people and ours."

"He's more interested in causing trouble than hurting people," Sharp said softly.

"Not a dark wizard," Jack whispered, gaze on the President again.

Harry remembered reading in the papers about a cell of dark witches and wizards who'd tried to assassinate the President and the other leaders in MACUSA a little over a year ago. Then in a few memos Harry had been privy to, he'd learned the President spent some time in a hospital but they hadn't said for what.

"We'll keep him safe," Harry told him.

Jack turned, a grin on his lips. "So much for a peaceful trip."

Regardless of his words, Jack's shoulders hadn't relaxed and his wand was still subtly clenched in his hand.

The Minister steered the President back towards them.

"All done?" Sharp asked when the pair stopped in front of them.

"For now," Kingsley said, looking over his shoulder at the crowd. "A moment, Potter."

"Sure." He followed the man a few feet away. "Something wrong?"

"Did you pick up anything?" Kingsley asked, running his hands down his navy blue cloak. "It's hard to see much of anything with all the lights and noise and sea of faces." He shook his head. "I'd hate to say that becoming Minister has affected my Auror training but, we'll, the truth is the truth." He chuckled.

Harry smiled. "Your instincts and skills are fine. We're just here to back you up."

Kingsley grinned. "Thank you for lying." He sobered. "So, I gather no one stood out."

Exhaling, Harry shook his head. "Like you said, sea of faces, but no one screamed thief. I'm sorry."

"Don't worry. You'll catch him." Kingsley laid his hand on Harry's shoulder. "We have faith in you."

Too bad he didn't have much faith in himself at that moment. He followed Kingsley back to the group.

"I have paperwork to finish." Kingsley looked at his watch.

"I could use a break," President Quahog said, rubbing his neck. "I hate traveling."

"What an old man thing to say," Jack muttered.

The President's eyebrows rise. "Are you still upset? I apologized before we arrived, dammit."

And off they went, arguing softly, but Harry's gaze drifted back to the dwindling crowd, though most had left for the day.

It didn't make sense. He'd been so certain that Fyrefox would attack at the unveiling. This was the perfect opportunity. What had he missed?

"I'll be patrolling tomorrow night during the ball," Jack said, drawing his attention. "I never get to have fun at things like that. Maybe, though, after, I could have a dance-"

"Jack," the President said.

He scoffed. "After work is done, of course."

And it clicked. Security was ready, more than originally planned as Jack had said before. But the ball tomorrow? It would be harder to stay focused while the people danced and socialized.