10 | Not the Ministry

"Understand that today is a new beginning," Robards explained, hands against the conference table. He leaned forward, eyes landing on each Auror in the room. "And nothing, I mean, nothing will go wrong." He straightened. "Protection for the President is vital. We will keep things civil. Everything will go on without a hitch, you understand."

The room was silent.

"I leave you with that. Now, off to your positions and prepare. The President will be arriving at any moment."

Aurors got to their feet and started off on their duties, but Harry remained in his chair. President Quahog was here. He couldn't believe it. He tapped his foot against the leg of the table and watched everyone move. The moment was here. He grinned. He was about to get everything he wanted, add a fresh alliance with MACUSA, things were looking up.

Ron kicked his feet up onto the table. "Hermione's going to hate that we're not on the President's detail."

Harry chuckled. "I can just hear her now." He wasn't the least bit upset about that, though. As far as he could be from the limelight the better.

"She'll be able to meet him, I'm sure. This is Hermione we're talking about," Ron said, leaning back in his chair.

Nodding, Harry looked up when Robards came to a stop beside him.

"Potter, you're on the President's protection detail."

Harry straightened, frowning. "What?"

"That sucks," Ron muttered.

Robards' eyebrows rose.

Harry cleared his throat, running his hands down his trousers. "I've already got my assignment."

For a moment, Robards just stared at him then said, "This will actually put you front row to your plan. Both Weasley and Sharp will be accompanying you too." He looked at the other Aurors. "I'll feel better with you by his side, including his own Aurors. I'm sure the Minister would agree."

Harry's mouth opened than closed it. A moment later, he said, "I don't think-"

"You can multitask, can't you? Splendid. Now, off you go. Grab the others and meet me in the Minister's office." Then he turned and left the conference room.

Harry exhaled, staring at the opened door. Aurors continued to move around them.

Protection detail. Bloody hell.

"So, protection detail," Ron repeated his thoughts. "Should be fun. The man's influential. Wonder what he's like." He straightened and turned to Harry, tilting his head. "On a scale from Fudge to Kingsley, where do you reckon he'd fall?"

Harry snickered, getting to his feet. "Stop that. Let's meet up with Sharp on the way to Kingsley's."

Ron exhaled, laying his hands on his legs. After a moment, he got to his feet too. "Fine."

They walked out of the conference room together. They moved through the desk and Aurors going around. A few of them called out, slowing down.

"Seen Sharp around?" Ron asked one of them, Auror Bendo.

"He stepped out for a moment, said he'd be right back," she told him, looking up from her paperwork.

"Thanks," Harry replied, passing by her desk. "If you see him, let him know we're meeting in the Minister's office."

"Will do." She went back to her work.

They continued on and when they reached the Minister's office, Jackson Sharp leaned against the wall. He straightened when they approached. "Potter, Weasley."